so lets say..

Gary The Busey

YEEEEEEE
@White
Reaction score
a point was deducted for the eyepoke

so? then what. glove still gets poked. not like gus was losing. he probably wouldhave finished him quicker since hed know the score was effected

Gus was practicing for his rematch with Jones. He needs to start out with an immediate eye poke then nut shot.

You can never take a point for the first poke, phrasing, unless the fighter was already warned previously about keeping their fingers outstretched towards their opponent under the new rules.

Thought Gus looked great tonight, maybe the best he ever has.

That said, he should have gotten a point deducted with the new outstretched finger rules (if they were in effect in Sweden)?

You can never take a point for the first poke, phrasing, unless the fighter was already warned previously about keeping their fingers outstretched towards their opponent under the new rules.

Wow that is stupid. Literally no reason not to poke them immediately.

Ahh, I see. I do think I heard the ref warn him, but I think it was AFTER the poke.

They need to really stay on top of that, the second fighters start that pawing (measuring) with the fingers out shit.

WAY too many times now that the momentum of fights have shifted because of this, and way too many fighters have had nasty injuries because of it.

If I was a UFC fighter, I would tell the ref "I can't continue" after an eye poke.
95% of eye pokes are intentional. A fighter is deliberately extending his fingers and pointing them at his opponents eyes.
It is just another way for fighters to game the system in order to gain an advantage.

Ref's are not deducting points for eye pokes, so why wouldn't any fighter try to get a way with a couple of "accidental" eye pokes.

I would just tell the ref "I can't continue." The fight is declared a no contest, I get my show up money and go back to the hotel.

A fighter needs 10 to 15 minutes or even more, to recover from an eye poke, not the allocated 5 minutes.

That was maybe one of the hardest eye pokes i've seen.
Glover said he would continue to fight, but he definitely couldn't see well out of that eye after that first poke.

The ref was hurrying Teixeira up, to decide quickly whether his eye was injured or not. I thought he had 5 min to recover. Didn´t anybody find that strange?

If I was a UFC fighter, I would tell the ref "I can't continue" after an eye poke.
95% of eye pokes are intentional. A fighter is deliberately extending his fingers and pointing them at his opponents eyes.
It is just another way for fighters to game the system in order to gain an advantage.

Ref's are not deducting points for eye pokes, so why wouldn't any fighter try to get a way with a couple of "accidental" eye pokes.

I would just tell the ref "I can't continue." The fight is declared a no contest, I get my show up money and go back to the hotel.

A fighter needs 10 to 15 minutes or even more, to recover from an eye poke, not the allocated 5 minutes.
And he didn´t even give him 5 min.... the ref was like "you have to decide right now if your eyes are injured or not". Glover had 1 minute at the most.

I really dont understand why they insist on using the same stupid gloves,change to a sambo glove and the problem is sorted

The ref was hurrying Teixeira up, to decide quickly whether his eye was injured or not. I thought he had 5 min to recover. Didn´t anybody find that strange?
You only get 5 minutes for a nut shot.

This is supposedly what Weidman tried to do after being told he ate an illegal knee and Weidman caught all kinds of shit for it

Accidental or not, automatic point deduction with the first eyepoke. Second eyepoke gets you instantly DQ'd.

FIghters won't take too long in adapting to being more cautious of their actions.

He also threw a 12-to-6 elbow. I'm surprised so few of you catched that?!?

This shouldve arguably been a DQ

The new rules, as you mentioned, are supposed to make up for this.

If applied correctly. Any poke will be a deduction. You've been warned backstage...It's a rule.

Deduct on any pokes. But, I'd like to see fence grabs docked too.

If it's a fuckin rule...

Enforce it.

This is supposedly what Weidman tried to do after being told he ate an illegal knee and Weidman caught all kinds of shit for it
Different context.

Weidman was a dude trying to play games. Texeira was trying to fight, and Alex was preventing his forward progress by extending fingers into his face, which is illegal. The referee should have warned Alex for extending his fingers into Glover's face.

The eye poke should have been an automatic point deduction, if Glover chose to continue, which he did.

But fighters need to wisen up, and stop fighting after an eye poke, I think most fighters don't fully recover after an eye poke. Psychologically, it makes them start to game plan against an illegal strike i.e. once you get eye poked, now you have to adapt your game plan to make sure you don't get poked again, because refs don't do anything about it.

I would do the same if I thought I was hit with an illegal knee. Fool proof route to victory. No way it could backfire.

The new rules, as you mentioned, are supposed to make up for this.

If applied correctly. Any poke will be a deduction. You've been warned backstage...It's a rule.

Deduct on any pokes. But, I'd like to see fence grabs docked too.

If it's a fuckin rule...

Enforce it.

I've been bitching about fence grabbing for a long ass time. I'd love to see more points deducted on both instances you mentioned. Fighters will always abuse rules as long as they're let off with harmless warnings..

Back