Is Gus still feeling the effects of the rumble fight?

Readybodisready

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The guy is just terrified of getting hit these days, he doesn't need to be since his chin is still intact and he's young and fresh as a fighter, it wasn't as bad as his last fight against Jan but still. It used to be the opposite as he'd walk through haymakers. Gotta be a mental thing.

Or was is the DC fight? He took a lot of shots in that fight too. or a combination of those two losses in 2015. Either way something's up.

The guy is just terrified of getting hit these days, he doesn't need to be since his chin is still intact and he's young and fresh as a fighter, it wasn't as bad as his last fight against Jan but still. It used to be the opposite as he'd walk through haymakers. Gotta be a mental thing.

Or was is the DC fight? He took a lot of shots in that fight too. or a combination of those two losses in 2015. Either way something's up.

He just obliterated a top 5 guy with taking very little damage. Seems to me an ideal way to fight, right?

Yeah I'd imagine the Rumble fight made him very protective of getting hit with a big shot. The strategy he implemented tonight was very similar to the one that Overeem implemented after he got knocked out by Browne and Bigfoot. Looks like it works, so can't knock him for it.

Hes playing it safe because hes in his hometown. Definitely didn't want to relive his last experience there.

"The guy is just terrified of getting hit these days". Wow, you sound angry and i'm assuming you wanted Glover to win. You made this thread just to subtly bash Gus as a fighter. Stop being a pussy and say how you really feel you salty son of a bitch.

I'd imagine it's not fun getting Ko'd. Especially getting ko'd by Rumble Johnson.

8f6

He fought the exact same way against jones, only backpedalled less because jones has 0 power and was more to avoid the wrestling against the cage.

Why fight to texeiras strength, letting bombs unload on him while against the cage? Its stupid. It didnt look great running but fuck it, he is too tall to simply evade and turn, he has the footwork but his lanky ass giraffe neck will get in the way.

Masterful striking display imo, he completely fucked tex up and clearly his boxing is leagues above everyone in the division (rumble just has NASTY power). Look forward to his next fight which should be interesting considering his boy manuwa is up there too.

War Gus.

Dunno, brah...

But, almost any beat down has to hurt inside ( mentally, and physically ). Losing at any level sucks. But, he's also been beaten down in title fights.

I've been a fan of the CFL ( Eskimos, Canadian ), since I was about 8 yrs old. I've known a great many pro football athletes.

A few have clearly suffered brain damage. And it's very sad.

Scanning, examining, detecting, and hopefully someday...Preventing CTE is serious. And, I side on protecting the fighter.

There are residual effects. And you can only mask/hide it for so long. Problem is...

Nobody worries about it until after the damage has been done.

He's still feeling the effects of that head butt that rocked him in the Rumble fight. So yes he's fighting using his Reach.

He just obliterated a top 5 guy with taking very little damage. Seems to me an ideal way to fight, right?
he looked great, but if it was a closer fight they way he turns his back and runs might work against him in a decision. I think it had an effect in the dc fight decision, but it's been a while....

Yeah I'd imagine the Rumble fight made him very protective of getting hit with a big shot. The strategy he implemented tonight was very similar to the one that Overeem implemented after he got knocked out by Browne and Bigfoot. Looks like it works, so can't knock him for it.

He has always shown a good jogging game, before Rumble.
94923_Jon_TD_1.gif

to
article-2428872-1828D1BE00000578-508_634x404.jpg

During Rumble on what was clearly an icy floor
gus%2B2.gif

and after. When he gassed in the championship rounds his slow hobbling proved less effective as DC just walked behind him punching him in the ear.
YellowActiveHoneycreeper.gif

BraveLimpingGermanshepherd.gif

Last edited:
He's ran in a lot of his fights but this was the most. I see it more as a reset though. It's not pretty look at but its effective for him to re-center himself and get back to the middle of the cage. I think he'll give DC fits just like Glover since he'll be tough to catch. Jones would probably chase him down though and it'll be more interesting.

No way you can compare the two. If one of those was the reason, then it was definitely the Johnson fight.

Yes, he got beat up in the Cormier fight, but he was straight up brutalized in the one against Rumble.

Back