There has to be incentive for eye poked fighters to continue fighting.

ClosetVitorFan

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Because I know if I were poked in the eye badly and have to continue the rest of the fight with blurry vision. I tell the ref I can't continue and get the NC. Fuck that. If this happens more often, the fighters who do the eye poked will be more careful. Because the fight being a NC, no win bonus for you.

I think it should be automatic point deduction as incentive for the poked fighter. It automatically gives the poked fighter the round win, and maybe slows down the poker. At least for a round.

There would be too much point deductions and a LOT of them would result in a draw. With fighters only fighting 3-4 times a year draws should be avoided like the plague.
Not saying it is fair, but we do need winners and losers as much as possible.

Refs should take points more often when it happens, I agree. It's a fight, though, and it's hard to avoid. In Gus' case tonight, it definitely was just an unintentional poke that happened in the heat of the moment so it can be hard to judge.

There would be too much point deductions and a LOT of them would result in a draw. With fighters only fighting 3-4 times a year draws should be avoided like the plague.
I can understand if you're an up and comer like platinum Mike but veteran well established fighters don't need to take that gamble. Getting poked is probably the worst thing that can happen early on in a fight. If it happens in the 3rd round they can go to technical decision if the fighter can't continue. But 2 minutes into the first? Give me a break. Glover doesn't have many fights left. I would have told Gus pre fight, if you poke me, and poke me good, I'm not gonna continue, so keep your fingers out of my face. Would have been a different fight.

Because I know if I were poked in the eye badly and have to continue the rest of the fight with blurry vision. I tell the ref I can't continue and get the NC. Fuck that. If this happens more often, the fighters who do the eye poked will be more careful. Because the fight being a NC, no win bonus for you.

I think it should be automatic point deduction as incentive for the poked fighter. It automatically gives the poked fighter the round win, and maybe slows down the poker. At least for a round.
A fighter with significantly impaired vision should obviously not be allowed to continue fighting for safety reasons.

Refs should take points more often when it happens, I agree. It's a fight, though, and it's hard to avoid. In Gus' case tonight, it definitely was just an unintentional poke that happened in the heat of the moment so it can be hard to judge.
It doesn't matter if its accidental. It's damaging. An illegal move that is damaging. Glover went to his stool after round 1 saying he can't see in that eye. But continued to fight because "he's a warrior" which like I said before, as an up and comer yeah you gotta continue. Established fighter with not many fights left in the tank? Not really. He doesnt have to suck on that lemon.

Did not understand this. Glover should have said, nah I want my 5 minutes
I think the ref can only grant the 5 minutes if he saw the eyepoke. Since he didn't react until Glover started touching his eye it's obvious he didn't see it.

Eye pokes ruin fights.

I wasn't rooting for anybody. Great KO etc. But yeah, that strategy of having your fingers extended all the time ruined this fight for me. Dirty as fuck in my opinion.

Disagree.

If you lose a point on the first 'accidental' eye poke, it would solve the problem over night.

Jones and Gus eye poke nearly ALL their opponents. It's on film, there is no disputing it. Gus is egregious with it, and I'm a Gus fan. He fights with his hands open, like Jones, because eye poking your opponent gives you a huge advantage with no penalty.

So in MMA, literally half your pay check is tied to winning the fight you are in. If you are allowed one free eye poke, and you are much longer than your opponent, why wouldn't you take it?

Make repeat offenders fight with custom made 22 ounce boxing gloves on

I think the ref can only grant the 5 minutes if he saw the eyepoke. Since he didn't react until Glover started touching his eye it's obvious he didn't see it.
The replay clearly showed the eye poke. It was disguised well right after a punch. GUS' CORNER was screaming it was a punch. I think that seated the ref. Replay clearly showed Gus with an open hand rake the eyes of Glover. Clear as day.

Id like to see them given time to recover.... its fucked up to put pressure on a fighter with all the mic's around. Glover had to decide, either admit he cant see and the fight is stopped and be called a pussy by fans. or fight blind for a small amount of time and risk being KO'd

having time to recover seems the fairest thing to do imo

Wasn't the controversy there that they actually weren't allowed to use replay? Also the ref saw that situation, so it's not comparable.
This is the 21st century. Use fucking replay. That's why it's there. NFL got savvy of this year's ago. This isn't prowrestling where the refs back is turned and the wrestler does an illegal move to get an edge and the ref doesn't "see it" therefore it stands. Even though the whole illegal move was caught on camera.

This is the 21st century. Use fucking replay. That's why it's there. NFL got savvy of this year's ago. This isn't prowrestling where the refs back is turned and the wrestler does an illegal move to get an edge and the ref doesn't "see it" therefore it stands. Even though the whole illegal move was caught on camera.
Sure, maybe that's how the rules should be. But that's irrelevant, what matters is how they actually are right now.

How about instant 3 pts deduction AND must use closed fist oven mitt gloves for next 3 bouts? Can't grapple? Too bad, cheater!

As is, there's no penalty at all and the eyepoke severely lowers the opponent's energy meter making him easier pickings. Also, continued stabs towards the eyes creates a threat of more eyepokes, therefore limiting the opponent's defense and effectiveness.

Back