The number of title fights has gone up since 2010. Why doesn't it feel like that?

Le Fisticuffs

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
With all this talk about champions ducking challengers, I went back to see how many title fights the UFC has had per year since 2010. I was surprised to find out, that the number has more than doubled between 2010 and 2016. Here's a rundown per year:

2010: 10 (title fights)
2011: 13
2012: 13
2013: 17
2014: 16
2015: 20
2016: 22
2017: 6 (so far)

So why does it still feel like things are stagnant, even though we are actually getting double the amount of title fights per year compared to 2010?

Number of title fights has gone up because of new divisions.

This is a big thing to consider. Champions are not being more active than before, but the numbers are still higher, because we have a ton of new weight divisions that weren't around in 2010.

Key weightclasses are stagnant.

Ever since I started watching MMA, the lightweight division has been referred to as the most stacked division in the UFC. It has always been a shark tank of really high competition. The last time I was this frustrated with the division, was back when Pettis had a long lay-off before making his first defense against Melendez. LW is in a similar rut now, as we're probably not going to see a title defense this whole year, since Conor is tied up in the potential Mayweather fight. That's potentially a whole 12 months of nothing happening, with real contenders waiting it out. With all the talk of money fights, it feels like welterweight and middleweight might devolve into a similar state.

"Big champions" have not earned their status

Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, GSP, Jose Aldo, Renan Barao and Ronda Rousey are all champions who defended their title multiple times. That type of dominance is what creates stars, and that in turn creates an interesting division where the goal for everyone is clear: beating the champ. The matchmaking becomes easy, as you just create contender fights and match the winner against the champ.

As of right now, the only champions who are making this happen are Joanna and DJ, although Stipe is well on his way. Isn't it weird, that the HW division is quickly becoming one of the more interesting weightclasses all of a sudden? I think it's because Stipe is becoming a dominant champion, and we're seeing the rise of interesting contenders like Lewis and N'gannou. DC has defended multiple times as well, but his championship will always have an asterisk unless he beats Jones. Same goes for Aldo, who will probably never get the rematch with Conor.

At the same time LW, WW and MW are all stagnant, with relatively untested champions, and the divisions aren't moving. Contenders are waiting and nothing seems to be happening.

I can understand it when a superstar like Conor gets some leeway, but De Randamie is a prime example of a newly minted champion, who is refusing to fight the obvious contender that she should fight. I think it should be grounds for the UFC to just take her belt away.

TL,DR: Letting out some frustration. The UFC is missing dominant champions, and the even though the number of title fights per year has gone up, the key divisions that have always been the most interesting are getting stagnant.

<mma1>

You answered your own question. Loads of divisions no one cares for.

And 6 in 2017 which is half over is complete shit compared to 22 last year.

11 divisions with 6 total defences in half a year is an abomination. That means it would take nearly 1 year average for each champion to defend their belt once. Shit stats.

I'm not just saying this it feels like the 155 and the 145lb divisions do not exist anymore hell one does not even have an interim title at least and the 145lb belt fell into Aldo's lap then Max won an interim title that holds no meaning because he won it fighting Anthony Pettis. Maybe it is just me but is seems like since Joe Silva retired it is going to hell in a hand basket. Matchmaking blows

Because most of the title fights are crap nobody cares about. Pre 2010, divisions we actually wanted to watch like MW and LHW had three defences a year. Now it's 1 if that.

There are more title fights, but that's because we have Flyweight + the women's divisions which suck. The TLDR: We have more title fights overall, but less title fights in good divisions.

Wec had 2 title fighters per card back in the day. At least UFC could do is have at least one title fight per ppv. Get these fuckers defending belts 3 times a year

When champs refuse to defend, and the promotion gives title shots to those who talk shit rather than to deserving contenders, then titles mean shit.

because poeple/casuals are not interested in more than half of the title fights

125: no interest
135: only a little
145: only a little since condor left
155: intedasting
170: potentialy intedasting due to possible connor chaLLENGE
185: ABSOLUTE bs, nobody cares
205: paper champ
265: too shallow

WMMA: zero interest in general (or close to zero)

Back