The Winged-Back Fighter

g*r*b

Super-Stretch Elastic Waistband
@red
Reaction score
I just got around to watching the weigh-ins, and as soon as Alex Nicholson stripped off his shirt I went "oh no, not another one..."

How many fighters in MMA sport full-back sets of wings?

The classic example is Benson Henderson's, well modeled and cleverly interacting with the back's anatomy to heighten the sense of relief.

d0d33370b1c74c9058a11aa1e6ac39fa.jpg

Max Holloway's is distinctive take on the cliche, combining one angel and one devil's wing:

max-holloway-kicks-jeremy-stephens-in-their-featherweight-bout-during-picture-id501143914.jpg

But though I'm sure I've seen at least 4 or 5 more fighters sport them, I can't for the life of me think of their names. Their tattoos were so humdrum in execution that they never stood out to me. I do remember one having "feathers" that look more like curved straps, as if they were strips of metal, and I think one was from the Southern California area, but beyond that I'm drawing blanks.

I appeal to you, capacious trivia-packed minds of the Sherdog Nation — can you tell me who else in MMA is a wingman?

EDIT
From time to time I bump this thread when another winged-back fighter flutters past my sight. This time the bump starts at #80.

Last edited:
tony-ferguson-yves-edwards.JPG

Tony Ferguson

How about an apocalyptic "winged-front" fighter?

7MobileAlessioSakaraColor31.jpg

tony-ferguson-yves-edwards.JPG

Tony Ferguson

Yes! He may have been one of the ones I was half-remembering, though the feathers aren't quite as strappy as I'm visualizing and Ventura's usually considered Central Coast rather than Southern California. But a prominent fighter and one I shouldn't have let slip from my mind. Good call!

Bendo, ferguson, holloway all great fighters. This bodes well for nicholson

How about an apocalyptic "winged-front" fighter?

7MobileAlessioSakaraColor31.jpg

Very nice work indeed, but being part of a picture on the body isn't the same as pretending you're part of the body. I'm lookin' for trompe l'oeil.

20160722033404_1DX_3012.JPG

Jason Knight

That counts I guess. But that shield-like shape on top of it makes it look like he's displaying an heraldic achievement, rather than pretending he can fly.

God I hate Holloway's wings. I get the point but my fucking god it bothers me that they're different.

OSP does for sure. Just scrolled through google images butt ain't seen nothin.

Yeah what do you think would look better if you are going to get an animal back like stegosaurus spikes or something like that eh.

how about nothing so you don't look like a jackass when you turn 50 with wrinkled old saggy skin.

You know what would be awesome ?! If Angels were actually real and one of them ripped the fake wings right off their backs for not earning them. This shit has to be some sort of affront to God i imagine.

I just got around to watching the weigh-ins, and as soon as Alex Nicholson stripped off his shirt I went "oh no, not another one..."

How many fighters in MMA sport full-back sets of wings?

The classic example is Benson Henderson's, well modeled and cleverly interacting with the back's anatomy to heighten the sense of relief.

View attachment 233063

Max Holloway's is distinctive take on the cliche, combining one angel and one devil's wing:

View attachment 233067

But though I'm sure I've seen at least 4 or 5 more fighters sport them, I can't for the life of me think of their names. Their tattoos were so humdrum in execution that they never stood out to me. I do remember one having "feathers" that look more like curved straps, as if they were strips of metal, and I think one was from the Southern California area, but beyond that I'm drawing blanks.

I appeal to you, capacious trivia-packed minds of the Sherdog Nation — can you tell me who else in MMA is a wingman?
Not sure if this counts as a "winged-back" or not butt it def deserves a honorable mention
IMG_2838.JPG

how about nothing so you don't look like a jackass when you turn 50 with wrinkled old saggy skin.

You know what would be awesome ?! If Angels were actually real and one of them ripped the fake wings right off their backs for not earning them. This shit has to be some sort of affront to God i imagine.
Isnt it a sin in Abrahamic religions to get tattoos? Any tattoos? In Islam I know it is for sure. Notice no Caucasus fighters have them. surprised seeing Christian fighters all tattooed.

Back