Who are right now the marketable fighters that could make the UFC and combat sports more popular?

Vespo

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Obviously excluding Mystic Mac

The baddest man on the planet (as in the HW champ) is an incredible fighter, but certainly not a superstar, and that won't change in the future I reckon. He comes off as a simple, hard working blue collar big man that happens to enjoy kicking ass. That won't cut it.

In contrast, as much as I dislike Brock in general, he is/was a supernova. Ubereem maybe had it, before he got humbled and shrunk a bit. Paradoxically, he is now a better fighter but a lesser star. Also, he like many of the more charismatic guys in the business are in their mid-late thirties. Whatever stardom they were destined to reach, they already did I guess.

The only guy not called McGregor who I can see reaching those heights in the near future is in fact Bones. So please enlighten me, who should the UFC push?

By the way, I thought about this while reading about Cain's undeserved bullshot. They still see him as a potential posterboy, it seems.

*fucked up the title, it obviously should say 'marketable fighters'. I would appreciate it if a mod can correct it : ) *

Hi , you can correct it...I think tools edit title

I don't really have an input for yiuthread

Ngannou, maybe... I crystalball him fighting for the title and even becoming champion, but I'm not sure about his persona outside arenas. He doesn't seem to be one of those extraordinary characters.

*Thanks dickcheney, got it*

If Jones becomes heavyweight champion, it would put him on another level.

It's going to take Chuck coming back to fight either Hendo or Vitor for me to achieve full MMA erection and I'm not even a Chuck fan. Actually, DC/Bones II also has my interest.

Ngannou, maybe... I crystalball him fighting for the title and even becoming champion, but I'm not sure about his persona outside arenas. He doesn't seem to be one of those extraordinary characters.

*Thanks dickcheney, got it*

He has the physique that they could sell him as being unstoppable....until he gets stopped.

Who cares about popularity?? Go watch kardashians.

Lets see the real MMA talent fight.

money fights changed the game. Now we have to find stars to keep the sport alive. Or it'll fade into obscurity.

jk, won't fade away most likely. But, it's harder and harder now with each champ wanting more money and each fighter wanting more money to keep getting #1 guy vs #2 guy.

Jorge Masvidal has the attitude and talent. If he can win his big fights and reach the top, I think he can do it.

Watch this and tell me you don't understand what I'm talking about:

Cody Necktats- He's already somewhat popular among younger people and has a bro attitude

Black Beast can be very marketable, he has a great sense of humor and he is very witty. I also went to UFC 192 and he was on that card and the crowd was really into him, they liked him a lot, he got one of the biggest pops of the night, only the main event had the same noise, people liked him...

Also helps he is a big HW who has only ever once been to a decision.

It's been really weird seeing the range of MMA writers and podcasters takes on Miocic's marketability ever since UFC 211. It spans the entire gamut from woefully bland to "charismatic" and "a publicist's dream". The impression I get from all the comments I've ever seen is that he has considerable personableness in person...but it hasn't translated over the airwaves so far.

I don't think it's a lost cause. The trick of it is realizing what comic book superhero trope resonates best with how he is. What you need to sell is the fact that Clark Kent IS Superman. Get them to look past Clark's glasses and accept the package deal.

Though considering how goofy Stipe is, and how often he's been likened to a giant 12-year-old... maybe it would be more accurate to describe him as Billy Batson/Captain Marvel.

Well... everybody. As you should. As pakman implied, the more popular and global MMA are, the more talent they will attract (=better fights). Also the easier it will be for us all to attend to high quality events. Furthermore, it's not like I don't like sherdog or anything, but it would be nice to be able to talk about fighting outside these forums. I don't how it is in the US, Brazil or Japan, but I live in Spain and I can tell you that very few people in Europe give a flying fuck about this stuff. Save for Ireland definitely and Sweden maybe. Guess why and keep your Kardashians for yourself.

He has the physique that they could sell him as being unstoppable....until he gets stopped.

Overeem syndrome haha. But indeed, the fierce looks are there!

Last edited:
If they were super skilled and knew how to sell fights, PVZ and Sage would both be good choices. Unfortunately all they have to offer is their looks

Well... everybody. As you should. As pakman implied, the more popular and global MMA are, the more talent they will attract (=better fights). Also the easier it will be for us all to attend to high quality events. Furthermore, it's not like I don't like sherdog or anything, but it would be nice to be able to talk about fighting outside these forums. I don't how it is in the US, Brazil or Japan, but I live in Spain and I can tell you that very few people in Europe give a flying fuck about this stuff. Save for Ireland definitely and Sweden maybe. Guess why and keep your Kardashians for yourself..

Aaahh I see... You are exactly the type of fan UFC owners die for. The casual fan.

I'll keep watching the underground mma orgs.

Back