Are there many examples of MMA fighters trying boxing?

snapster

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Most people seem to say that when MMA fighters call out pro boxers, that the mma guy is going to get schooled quickly, like Conor-Floyd, or when Stipe calls out whoever. But just wondering if there are any examples where a decent mma guy went to box with a decent boxer? Yes, we all know what happens when a boxer steps in the octagon, but I don't think I've seen the other way around.

No, but many MMA fighters who couldn't make it in boxing went to MMA.

Melvin Guillard, Mike Perry, Conor McGregor....you can't train for 2-3 years in boxing and be a champ, unlike in MMA

Most people seem to say that when MMA fighters call out pro boxers, that the mma guy is going to get schooled quickly, like Conor-Floyd, or when Stipe calls out whoever. But just wondering if there are any examples where a decent mma guy went to box with a decent boxer? Yes, we all know what happens when a boxer steps in the octagon, but I don't think I've seen the other way around.

What? He knocks out the longest reigning UFC HW champ in seconds?

Well Mercer destroyed the UFC's most dominant HW Champ in an MMA fight So it seems like someone could step in.

andrei arlovski around the time he fought fedor, he did a boxing match against fres oquendo. a guy who went to a split decision with james toney

arlovski beat oquendo in boxing.

I don't know how many have fought "decent" boxers, but quite a few have boxed: Nick Diaz, KJ Noons, Anderson Silva, Vitor, Cro-Cop, Kimbo. My favorite is Jeff Monson's 2-0-1 boxing record with 2 TKO's. His opponents must have been terrible.

I believe Ray Sefo faced a pretty decent boxer back when Sefo was a good kickboxer. The boxer annihilated him.

Prime ray zero vs some journey man

And sefo has one of the best chins in mma or kickboxing

So there's your answer

Jens Pulver - I do believe he was even on an episode of friday night fights.

I remember Jens warning Timmy not fight Mercer

Even in MMA it's super risky just re-watch the Randy Toney fight and see how cautious Randy was.

Joe duffy started with MMA, took some time off and went 7-0 in boxing, then came back to MMA. Granted, he was fighting nobodies in boxing.

Well Mercer destroyed the UFC's most dominant HW Champ in an MMA fight So it seems like someone could step in.
He also got stopped by Kimbo.

Melvin Guillard, Mike Perry, Conor McGregor....you can't train for 2-3 years in boxing and be a champ, unlike in MMA
Ryan Ford recently won a boxing title in 2 years.

andrei arlovski around the time he fought fedor, he did a boxing match against fres oquendo. a guy who went to a split decision with james toney

arlovski beat oquendo in boxing.
Andrei could box. He should have switched to boxing back in 2008 when he was about to. Bigger gloves would have helped him.

What about someone like Sergio Martinez who didn't take up boxing untill he was 21, with no combat sports background? Or Saensak Muangsurin who came over from MT and won the WBC title in his 4th pro fight? Or Veeraphol Sahaprom who also came from MT and won the WBA title in his 3th fight? Or the great Samart who won the WBC title in his 12th pro fight, three years after going pro as a boxer?

There are many more.

Back