Thoughts on Gus vs Glover

theTKDguy

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
tbh i wasn't that excited about this fight (the whole event really) until now. Alex is a good fighter but he always came up short against the elite. He has/had great potential but lacks fight iq and variety of strikes (for the DC fight, the guy trained a lot in the clinch, using short range elbows and knees. When he used them, he almost ko'ed DC, but for some reason he didn't employ them apart from that moment. He could've won that fight easily). Glover is solid but very stiff and boring IMO. The LHW division is TOO shallow man. When tex is the #2 contender you know it's bad. Bad thing is, signing old Saki isn't going to change things that much. well that's another story. Regarding to the fight, i've changed my mind and now looking forward to it. They aren't p4p greats but it should be a fun scrap still. I really hope Gus shows improvements because he has the talent and is just lacking in small details.
PD: The co-main should be good too.there's a guy (idk his name) on the prelims who did a side kick in the weigh ins. great balance and technique, he looked like Wonderboy's lil bro lol. He's fighting Taleb. Looking forward to that one too.

I wouldn't call glover boring. Dude always comes to scrap.

Yeah, Gus damn near beat Bones, and as DC said, he gave him the toughest fight of his career. His biggest hiccup was the Rumble fight. He has what it takes to be champ physically, it's mentally where he needs work imo.

Glover is old. Gus needs to update his tattoo

don't get why Glover gets shit on on these forums. He's a beast and has lost to JBJ, Rumble and Phil Davis. Not like he's losing to scrubs, he's out there crushing the rest of the guys. Career wise, he has a lot of better wins than Gus.

Gus is immortalized because of the fights vs JBJ and DC. They were amazing and he fought valiantly. He just needs to go out and have more of those performances. If not, he'll just be another guy who could've been the best but it never materialized for him.

finishing Ryan Bader, Rashad Evans & OSP > beating Blachowicz and Shogun by decision
LOL @ 2016 Rashad. If you count OSP you should count Thiago and Manuwa for Gus too. I'm not comparing their records tbh i just think Alex is more talented than Texeira.
Bader, Rashad, OSP, Cummins are better than Gus' best wins. Which is....Manuwa? Or ancient Shogun?
As i said, It's sad to see the lhw div. Cummins as a notable win.

LOL @ 2016 Rashad. If you count OSP you should count Thiago and Manuwa for Gus too. I'm not comparing their records tbh i just think Alex is more talented than Texeira.
You think Alex is more talanted only based on close fights with champions, which means absolutely nothing in MMA world. Glover is better overall fighter than Gus, he can KO and Sub you, not to mention that Gus has only one finish in last 5 years, while Glover finished 7 fighters in the same timespan

You think Alex is more talanted only based on close fights with champions, which means absolutely nothing in MMA world. Glover is better overall fighter than Gus, he can KO and Sub you, not to mention that Gus has only one finish in last 5 years, while Glover finished 7 fighters in the same timespan
Winning the belt is the most important thing in MMA and Gus came A LOT closer than Teixeira to do it. Stylistically speaking, Teixeira doesn't pose a threat to Jones or DC. Gus does.

Gus has what it takes to be champ physically, it's mentally where he needs work imo.
See I dint subscribe to this notion: in both Jones and DC fights, you flip a coin and he is called the winner. Both JBJ and DC may have finished stronger than Gus but Gus arguably won one, if not both of those fights.....and if he got the nod in either of those fights, no one is saying anything about his mental fortitude and we are all wondering how many more defenses until he becomes the GOAT.

finishing Ryan Bader, Rashad Evans & OSP > beating Blachowicz and Shogun by decision

Shogun was ranked top4 when he fought Gus. I dont think Bader, Evans or OSP were ranked even close to as high when Glover beat them. So based on rankings Gus has the best single win. Knocking out Manuwa when Manuwa was undefeated looks pretty solid win also. Better win than knocking out 2016 Evans, imo. And Manuwa dominated OSP.

Winning the belt is the most important thing in MMA and Gus came A LOT closer than Teixeira to do it. Stylistically speaking, Teixeira doesn't pose a threat to Jones or DC. Gus does.
again, your whole point turns around being CLOSE, which again, I say is wrong. Gus had a close fight with Jones, then he get's KO'd by Rumble in the first, your whole point went down to the toilet.

Teixeira has a style to KO DC though, you can't say he doesn't pose a threat untill they fight

As i said, It's sad to see the lhw div. Cummins as a notable win.

I agree, this is why this fight makes sense and should be good.

It's two of the guys who made it almost to the top but couldn't quite get there facing off.

Both have ways to win, both have ways to lose. Should be good imo.

I haven't seen Gus this confident in a long time, I think he'll put on a clinic.

Only problem with this fight is Glover hits HARD in Round 1 and I don't know if Gus will have his dance shoes on.

I think Gus will be too fast and long for him. Glover will struggle to get inside and eventually maybe get TKO'd after he takes a bit of a prolonged beating. If Gus isn't aggressive it probably goes to decision with Gus winning.

Back