I question the idea of Mousasi not being a draw

BlackPhillip

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
It doesn't make sense to me. I mean he is one of the most talked about fighters it seems, when you look at videos of him like the Bisping one(who is supposedly this HUGE draw)...Moose has overwhelmingly positive bias. Not only that, but the guy puts on super exciting fights and elevates cards for all the views who aren't even fans. I just don't understand how he isn't being compensated fairly.

His biggest downfall is lack of expression verbally and physically. Nobody cares about people who always appear bored and low energy.

To be fair, he hasn't always been like the way he is now, personality-wise.

He was very quiet and didn't show much in terms of personality.

He is playing the game now and upping his smack-talk, and that is making people take notice that wouldn't have before.

Mousasi had Fedoresque aura at some point until he started losing to mid level fighters. And now he is trying Conor-like techniques to market himself while unable to do it properly.

I think he has a niche of hardcore fans but most do not find him very interesting as a person. Mousasi's fights are usually pretty good though.

Mousasi's fights are always great and his time will come. It will be a huge mistake if the UFC lets him walk

Anytime he has a really big fight he shits the bed.

Uriah Hall 1
Jacare 2
Machida

This plays a factor. Personally I'm a fan but beating current form Vitor isn't much to brag about.

His shit talking game is gold, I'm not even a fan but damn he's fucking brilliant lmao.

I think Mousasi is one of the bigger draws in the division. Maybe not as much as Bisping who's headlined a ton of times and has a country that supports him, but Mousasi is definitely someone who will get anybody who knows mma tuned in. Other than Bisping and Silva nobody else could you say is a bigger draw really.

Uriah Hall 1
Jacare 2
Machida

This plays a factor. Personally I'm a fan but beating current form Vitor isn't much to brag about.

Hall wasnt a big fight lmao. It was just a normal fight that was only noteworthy because Mousasi lost. Weidman is probably a bigger/equal fight to Machida/Jacare and he performed excellently. He's on a good streak right now.

You may be confused with what being a draw means, I'm pretty sure when people talk about the Lesnars and Mcgregors being a draw it's because the casual fans get excited for spectacle and cheap popular gimmicks which makes those fights sell more than the average UFC stars. Moussasi is more of a draw to the legit fans of the sport, the fans that will still be watching when the Mcgregors and Lesnars go away for good, the fans that get excited for good fights more than trash talk and hype. If the UFC wants it's athletes to sell themselves it won't take long before it's all WWE style characters acting like idiots, but I think that is the wrong way to go about things. Popularity in this sport is not about winning fights anymore that seems to be secondary to personality and trash talk. Mike Perry gets worked over by an average welterweight but because he acts like an idiot and talks shit on twitter his fan base is giant, it's actually kind of comical.

Uriah Hall 1
Jacare 2
Machida

umm he destroyed Uriah Hall in the rematch proving the fist fight was a fluke, Machida was a close split decision where Machida cheated(and I was a fan), and he just beat the former champ. Not to mention the list he has been compiling lately.

umm he destroyed Uriah Hall in the rematch proving the fist fight was a fluke, Machida was a close split decision where Machida cheated(and I was a fan), and he just beat the former champ. Not to mention the list he has been compiling lately.
So? The point I was making is everytime he's about to go on a huge tear and get his titleshot he loses one way or the other and loses interest from the casuals. Like I said I'm a fan but casuals probably not so much.

His biggest downfall is lack of expression verbally and physically. Nobody cares about people who always appear bored and low energy.
He's changed that and hes speaking his mind more now. He knows if he wants big paychecks he has to self promote and be character. Smart move. Even his fighting style has changed to be more exciting and not so passive.

Haha mousasi is only known among the hard core fans. He absolutely is not a draw in the real sense of it

You're on Sherdog. This is a bubble of hardcore MMA fans. Mousasi is one of my favorite fights but the only guys that draw are former stars or the people that cross over into the mainstream. Mousasi is not that person.

Still, you can't totally just pay guys based on what the mainstream fans want. Mousasi is one of the best fighters in the world and if you don't pay those guys, then the hardcore fans will stop watching. I don't know what he's asking but I'd say something like 500k a fight would be a good number for what he brings. Hopefully he's not delusional and thinks he's deserving something like 750k-1 million.

Maybe it's the TV ratings that make Bisping a big draw. He's headlined 3 PPV's and each did reportedly 300k. 2 of those were title fights. Mousasi is known among fight fans but IDK how that translates to buys, he'd have to headline first (or really a couple of times).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F5CHAMPIONSHIP
Back