UFC on FOX 25 Long Island Needs a Co-Main.. How About Barboza vs. Iaquinta?

Arkridge

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
UFC on FOX 25 from Long Island, NY is a pretty damn good card. It's got 3 solid Main Card fights including a solid Main Event in Weidman vs. Gastelum, but one thing it doesn't have is a proper Main Event for a Big FOX card. Iaquinta has publicly stated that he wants on this card and I think he would be great for the Co-Main Event.

Edson Barboza may deserve a bigger fight but most everyone is booked save for Tony Ferguson who seems to be holding out for Nate Diaz and Nate doesn't seem to be signing the dotted line anytime soon. Let's go through the rankings and have a look, shall we?

#1 Khabib, out til the fall of course... #2 Ferguson, holding out for an interim title fight or Nate Diaz... #3 Eddie Alvarez is already confirmed to be rebooked against Poirier for a later date... Barboza sits at #4. #5 Rafael dos Anjos is now at WW, he's out of the equation... #6 Michael Johnson is headlining the TUF Finale against Justin Gaethje... #7 Michael Chiesa is headling Fight Night OKC against Kevin Lee. #8 Nate Diaz isn't going to fight any time soon... #9 Dustin Poirier is going to rematch Eddie Alvarez... and #10 Beneil Dariush just got his shit pushed in by Barboza.

....In comes Al Iaquinta, who is developing a cult like following for his amazing twitter antics and outspoken attitude against the UFC. Why not give him a Co-Main opportunity against a top ranked guy in his hometown? He's on a 5 fight win streak and fresh off a layoff did what no one else has done and knocked Diego Sanchez the fuck out. He may be ranked #11 but I think his excellent boxing could highlight Barboza's lacking defense and make for an awesome fight.

What do you guys think?

It needs a good wmma fight as co main event

Cyborg vs Maglala

Some fun fights on there

but Whineman as the main event?
He may do his usual and get injured and then we are left with a pretty poor card

AFTer someone else said recent thread I was crossing my fingers that ferg realizes nate isn't going to get the money he wants and that they make fergboza

Honestly Iaquinta hasn't earned a shot at Barboza yet even though I think the fight would be competitive.

Put him against a guy ranked 6-10 first.

AFTer someone else said recent thread I was crossing my fingers that ferg realizes nate isn't going to get the money he wants and that they make fergboza

Cucuy beats Barboza 8/10 man, no need for a rematch if is not for the belt IMO

Meh. I don't have much interest in a Ferguson vs. Barboza rematch right now. I don't think the illegal blow had all that much influence on the outcome as others may think.

Or Moose vs Rockhold
Moose just said on UFC Tonight he's nowhere close to signing a new contract and the UFC's last offer was laughable.

Honestly Iaquinta hasn't earned a shot at Barboza yet even though I think the fight would be competitive.
Ranking wise maybe not but it would be a competitive fight and we all know it. I'd even favor Iaquinta. Rankings don't matter though. Word to @Emjay

UFC on FOX 25 from Long Island, NY is a pretty damn good card. It's got 3 solid Main Card fights including a solid Main Event in Weidman vs. Gastelum, but one thing it doesn't have is a proper Main Event for a Big FOX card. Iaquinta has publicly stated that he wants on this card and I think he would be great for the Co-Main Event.

Edson Barboza may deserve a bigger fight but most everyone is booked save for Tony Ferguson who seems to be holding out for Nate Diaz and Nate doesn't seem to be signing the dotted line anytime soon. Let's go through the rankings and have a look, shall we?

#1 Khabib, out til the fall of course... #2 Ferguson, holding out for an interim title fight or Nate Diaz... #3 Eddie Alvarez is already confirmed to be rebooked against Poirier for a later date... Barboza sits at #4. #5 Rafael dos Anjos is now at WW, he's out of the equation... #6 Michael Johnson is headlining the TUF Finale against Justin Gaethje... #7 Michael Chiesa is headling Fight Night OKC against Kevin Lee. #8 Nate Diaz isn't going to fight any time soon... #9 Dustin Poirier is going to rematch Eddie Alvarez... and #10 Beneil Dariush just got his shit pushed in by Barboza.

....In comes Al Iaquinta, who is developing a cult like following for his amazing twitter antics and outspoken attitude against the UFC. Why not give him a Co-Main opportunity against a top ranked guy in his hometown? He's on a 5 fight win streak and fresh off a layoff did what no one else has done and knocked Diego Sanchez the fuck out. He may be ranked #11 but I think his excellent boxing could highlight Barboza's lacking defense and make for an awesome fight.

What do you guys think?

I like it!

Since you are the creater of this good suggestion please make sure someone in UFC that actually can make it happen notice it and maybe they give you some deserved cred for it?
Or maybe someone with experience of communicating with Al and Barboza can try to convince them of makin it happen, because ultimately it is also up to them, I mean they have their own strategies and goals within the UFC?

I like it!

Since you are the creater of this good suggestion please make sure someone in UFC that actually can make it happen notice it and maybe they give you some deserved cred for it?
Or maybe someone with experience of communicating with Al and Barboza can try to convince them of makin it happen, because ultimately it is also up to them, I mean they have their own strategies and goals within the UFC?
Haha thanks man. Let's all mass tweet to Iaquinta. He's gunning hard for Ferguson on his twitter but Ferguson seems to want no part of it.

Makes sense.

But I think Barboza is coming back from a recent injury.

That would be a good fight

Sounds good, or how about Iaquinta vs Poirier/Alvarez?

i agree.

Pumped for this show. Haven't been to Long Island before.

200.gif

Would make a lot of sense to be honest. At this point Edson has become one of the UFC's go to fighters for a free card, 9 out of his last 10 fights have been on them.

while i would enjoy watching barboza whoop that ass i dont think iaquinta deserves a shot at him

iaquinta/teymur or vannata would be a good scrap

What do you guys think?

Barboza just beat Pettis, Melendez and Dariush. Al isn't even ranked in the top 10, it's a weird fight I won't object to it necessarily but it feels like a weird fight rankings wise. I'd rather see Al fight someone like Mairbek or Rustam.

Idk, how is Iaquinta going to trash hotel rooms and show houses with a permanent limp after such a fight?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back