Why does every 5'8 fighter have a huge reach?

superpunch

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It seems like all the 68" (5'8") guys have 74" reaches. How is this possible?

In normal human male anatomy, your reach matches your height.

Interesting point ts - McGregor has a bigger reach than even Cro Cop

giphy.gif

An exaggerated reach in the lower weight classes can be a significant advantage if the fighter know how to utilize it. We don't really see an abundance that do, though.

In America, we are OBSESSED with being "big." So, you can never trust American measurements. They tend to do dis-proportionally biased towards the "bigger" side.

An American who claims to be 5'10" is probably 5'8" -5'9". If the athletes stats says the athlete is 6'6" and weighs 260 lbs, he is probably 6'4" weighing 250.

They don't realize 2 extra inches makes a huge difference, when you actually see that athlete in person.

I don't believe anyone's reach. I've never seen it measured. Who's to say they aren't fudged?

Reach means nothing because it also includes chest width. There are some barrel chested guys with short, stumpy arms and poor reach that measure out equal to taller, lankier fighters.

Rarely any fighter controls distance well, though. Especially in MMA where getting inside is more than just primarily a defensive strategy as in boxing because grappling in the clinch is legal, closing the distance quickly is a good technique so controlling distance is less common than in purely striking focused combat sports.

They can't even measure height properly why would you think they got anybody's reach correct

Reach means nothing because it also includes chest width. There are some barrel chested guys with short, stumpy arms and poor reach that measure out equal to taller, lankier fighters.

Rarely any fighter controls distance well, though. Especially in MMA where getting inside is more than just primarily a defensive strategy as in boxing because grappling in the clinch is legal, closing the distance quickly is a good technique so controlling distance is less common than in purely striking focused combat sports.
Yeah it's a weird stat that applies differently. I'm in the boat you mentioned, my reach is the same as my height at 74 inches, but I have t-rex arms.

Because striking sports filters for it so you hit them before they can hit you. Thats like asking why are basketball players tall.

It seems like all the 68" (5'8") guys have 74" reaches. How is this possible?

In normal human male anatomy, your reach matches your height.
I'm sure most reaches are exaggerated a few inches just like all sports

Maybe because of torso length. Long torso normal limbs vs normal torso long limbs or a mix in between. People have different structures. So height vs wingspan can very greatly between people. Even leg length to arm length can hugely vary between people of similar height.

I'm 6'2 6'3 and have a 76 inch reach or so.. Kevin Lee has 77" if Im not mistaken and hes 5'9

Back