Chael Sonnen on DJ vs TJ

Mcgregor's UFC

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I've always had respect for Chael in terms of his understanding of marketing and business and I think he makes some really good points regarding Mighty Mouse not wanting to fight TJ right away. Anyone agree??

Sonnen is still a thing?

Just goes to show you how far you can get on charm and articulation alone.

Guy was a mediocre fighter and a criminal, yet somehow remains just barely relevant.

Also, DJ doesn't need Dillashaw. Dillashaw is desperate to remain relevant now that he isn't on top

someones J will go away

only way to market this fight to me

Guy was a mediocre fighter and a criminal, yet somehow remains just barely relevant.

Also, DJ doesn't need Dillashaw. Dillashaw is desperate to remain relevant now that he isn't on top

Yeah, fuckin right. What makes you go on the internet and say such foolishness? Dillashaw is the rightful no.1 contender at bantamweight, he's arguably more relevant than DJ

DJ NEEDS dillashaw. Not the other way around. Dillashaw would be the biggest title defense of his career. it'd be the only title defense of his to break 350k ppv buys.

Sonnen is still a thing?

The American Gangster is one of the most well-spoken and interesting MMA analysts in the business.

He is also the Bellator Light Heavyweight Champion. Looking forward to him defending his title against Wanderlei Silva.

Dillashaw is desperate to remain relevant now that he isn't on top
Lol what, he's the number 1 contender in one of the most stacked and exciting divisions right now. Dillashaw is far more relevant than DJ, any combination of TJ vs Cody vs Cruz is far more exciting than anyone DJ could possibly fight at 125.

He was hardly mediocre. For a while he tore through the best of the MW division until Anderson (who was considered unstoppable at the time) barely beat him at the end of the fifth round. He was the undisputed #2 in the rankings. Calling him mediocre is just silly.

He was hardly mediocre. For a while he tore through the best of the MW division until Anderson (who was considered unstoppable at the time) barely beat him at the end of the fifth round. He was the undisputed #2 in the rankings. Calling him mediocre is just silly.

You mean when he was artificially propped up on TRT? As soon as he went off it his career went down hill

This is ridiculous.

DJ thinks that the former champ and number one contender of his division needs a tune up fight at a division below?

Like someone said above, DJ would benefit from this more than TJ.

Yeah, fuckin right. What makes you go on the internet and say such foolishness? Dillashaw is the rightful no.1 contender at bantamweight, he's arguably more relevant than DJ

DJ NEEDS dillashaw. Not the other way around. Dillashaw would be the biggest title defense of his career. it'd be the only title defense of his to break 350k ppv buys.

Despite TJ being possibly the biggest win of MM's reign of defenses, it makes no sense for MM to take a fight a bigger guy from outside his normal weight class when he's 1 win away. He should fight Borg and take sole possession of the record, and then DJ absolutely should start taking fights at 135. TJ could be first if he wants to fight DJ that badly.

Dillashaw's big fight just fell through, and a loss to any BW would jeopardize his shot at Cody. I think TJ would rather fight DJ than Dominic Cruz who I believe is the only real other possible opponent for TJ at this time. MM is a smaller opponent that carries a chance at a UFC title, Cruz is a guy who could very well take away TJ's BW title shot against Cody. It could just as easily be argued that TJ needs DJ.

It's hard to accurately measure flyweights drawing power, but most fighters under 145 aren't a draw, so it's somewhat unfair to alienate DJ. I think the UFC is a victim of their own poor decisions regarding low PPV buys for FLW's and BW's. The UFC put very little effort into marketing the various champs of those divisions over the years, and consistently used the Fox/Fuel/Fight Nights as a dumping ground for their fights to satisfy agreements with the broadcasters.

Only once has any FLW/BW PPV title fight surpassed 300k buys, and that was Cruz vs. Faber at 320k. Dillashaw, Barao, and Johnson never even came close. Barao pulled 230k twice against Faber. Dillashaw maxed out at 215k against Barao and Johnson maxed out at 205k against Cariaso.

Everything he said is completely right and anyone who says otherwise is just as annoying as Demetrious Johnson and dumb for believing he's anything but ducking like a coward. And I love DJ as a fighter.

It could just as easily be argued that TJ needs DJ.

There are other big fights TJ can take. He could fight edgar at bantamweight for an interim title i bet, or even take a fight at fw. that wont hurt your bantamweight ranking much

The level of completion in the 125 division renders this "record" mm is after laughable at best.

MM doesn't want any, plain and simple. You can't complain about your pay, then get offered the biggest payday of your career, at your weight class no less, and decline.

mediocre fighter but still destroyed Anderson silva for 4 and a half rounds during his prime

Back