Is Dana White a puppet who takes the lion's share of criticism?

brainwash

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Or does he really makes the big decision and should be blamed for all of the fighter's complaints?

I think he had a lot more pull with La Famiglia than he does now. He's barely said a peep about all the dumb shit the Emanuel Clan has pulled.

I don't think he's a puppet but he's the public face of the company and is supposed to take the heat. He also takes a large chunk of the change. So....

I think that was his role under Lorenzo, I don't know if that is the case with WME or not.

I agree he's lost a lot of pull that he had before. I sure he still has a lot of influence in decision regardings fights/venues and fighter's contracts, but he's probably not making the final decision in many cases. Previously he was ruled by Lorenzo, but they were also buddy's so could work together on some level. With WME he has no personal connections so it's all business rules.

He brings a lot of criticism on himself with his habit of mouthing off to media and stating things as facts only to contradict himself later. For the most part I like him as a president because he's seems to be a pretty straight talker when it comes to MMA and things that aren't sensitive topics. He's not as transparent as Coker but doesn't come off as seedy as Bjorn Rebney

Where he gets himself in trouble is discussing sensitive topics or things UFC should want to be kept confidential at the time. Instead of saying "No comment" or "We're working on a solution and we'll let you know when we can" he has a bad habit of getting defensive, personally insulting people (lol) and starts stating opinions as facts and shooting himself in the foot. He has been getting a lot better at this lately and I'm sure WME has put a leash on him.

Last edited:
He's the face of the UFC so he gets a lot of heat that doesn't actually involve him. But that was more a thing of the past, now that WME is around it seems people have finally realized Dana didn't make every decision himself.

It's never been his money on the line so i'm sure he's told what he can and can't do with their money.

Yes. And i doubt Dana gives a fuuuuu...

Dana still gets a nice piece of the pie in the end even if he is an WME puppet. He doesnt give a fuck about the fighters. If he did he would push for them to get bigger paydays.

He is the face of the ufc And he is a thug that can handle the critizism And fire back. Dana never made any decisions before And is not making decisions now.

<{danawhoah}>

I think he's pretty involved and the new owners probably listen to him w/ serious consideration.

<{danayeah}>

Or does he really makes the big decision and should be blamed for all of the fighter's complaints?

I think he has very littl power. Ever singlr post fight presser he gets asked about match ups. He has a standard reply. He doesnt look at match ups the night of the fight. Aka - he has no say in it.

The ufc actually employs match makers. Whats left for dana except to show up at pressers and swear?

Fixed:
Dana White is a puppeteer who makes the lion's share of criticism.

I'm sure there are a lot of good things Dana White has done for MMA but I think it's him that's preventing the UFC from gaining the actual respect and credibility of a professional sport. Maybe how he handles his business and how he deals with people will be looked back on as part of the evolution of professional sports management but I doubt it. It may be good for business from a money standpoint to create twitter beefs and attack employees publicly and make regular bold and untrue statements to the media but at some point I think it's going to harm the company. You don't see the commissioner of MLB or NFL attacking it's players in the media and on twitter or making fools of themselves telling blatant lies to reporters and these are things that I think will prevent the UFC from being a respected and credible sport like boxing or football, It's not a great public image to project.

Then we have the whole money fight thing where Dana forgets the ranking systems and number one contenders for the sake of a bigger drawing fight. That's all fine from a business make money quick point of view but it's hurting the credibility of the sport. When popularity means more than fighting skill and talent when trash talking better than the rest gets you title shots the competitive sport suffers. Dana has said often that fighter's don't deserve anything, well that's a pretty disrespectful way of looking at it. In boxing fighters have a ranking system, champions have mandatory title defenses with mandatory challengers, fighters know where they stand and have something to aim for. This is why boxing isn't going anywhere, the system is set, the sport is respected and it keeps its credibility. The major sports have seasons and rankings and playoffs they don't put the more popular teams in the finals to make more money or tell teams that have winning seasons they don't deserve a playoff spot. These are things I think need to change in the UFC for it to maintain it's fan base and secure the sport's longevity. Basically Dana should shut his big mouth and stay behind the scenes, put in place a proper ranking system and use it to develop stars and superstars.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back