Miesha Tate explains why the UFC is the perfect model for equal opportunity for women

TheHNICuLuv2Hate

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
“It kind of blows my mind to be honest,” Tate told the Fight Society podcast. “That’s one thing I will say about the UFC, they don’t do anything half-assed and if they’re going to do it, they do it. When they finally decided to get behind the women’s fighting, they did it with 100-percent commitment. People ask me what’s the difference between boxing and MMA, why is women’s MMA so much more successful? Because the promotion actually gave us equal opportunity to display our skill sets.

“We’ve headlined huge cards and a lot of co-main events to very, very big cards. It’s one of those things when a promotion gets behind you and gives you the same push and the same opportunity for exposure and the exact equal opportunity, well that shows you what can happen when it’s there.”

“What I also love about women fighting for equality in the workplace, when we’re actually fighting for a career choice alongside our male counterparts and we’ve gotten so much scrutiny — women shouldn’t do that, there’s no way — well here we are and what a better representation of what women can be when you pick a sport like fighting,” Tate said.

“It just goes to show, girls are a lot tougher than society gives us credit for.”

“I think a lot of times women’s potential is held back just by the idea that everybody has and as little girls are raised. They’re raised to be pampered a little bit more and if she falls and scrapes her knee we’ve got to coddle her but if the boy does ‘hey suck it up!’. Maybe we need to be a little bit more across the board, equal with everybody,” Tate explained. “Girls are tough, too.

“We don’t need be raised to be these delicate little flowers. Let’s let the girls reach their inner potential. I love that the UFC has given opportunities to many women to showcase their skill sets.”

http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/...-model-for-equal-opportunity-for-women-052417

“We don’t need be raised to be these delicate little flowers”

Miesha is definitely not a delicate flower

g9k0pSm.png

Don't they get payed less from reebok and that was Mcmanns problem?

Competing against women and men for the bar exam or med school seems like equal opportunity.

Having special divisions just for girls and being promoted beyond your fighting skill looks to me like favoritism.

Equal opportunity? Everyone jump on the 20k/20k bandwagon.

But seriously. I think girls have it easy. It's not about skill. It's about can you get people to look at you. I tend to get hypnotized by camel toes and ass jiggles when I watch most WMMA. They're are always exceptions.

But if Bethe was a guy she'd be unemployed.

because they aren't as good but get ranked as though they're better than the men?

Wmma is so bad, I can imagine them keeping all the woman in the roster , keeping conor and 4 handpicked opponents of his choosing

"People ask me what’s the difference between boxing and MMA, why is women’s MMA so much more successful? Because the promotion actually gave us equal opportunity to display our skill sets"

Wrong. Ronda Rousey is the reason why women's MMA has been "successful". Women's boxing is complete garbage and that's why nobody watches it. I respect the women who do it, but I'd rather watch paint dry than watch girls play pat-a-cake in a boxing ring.

The only woman fighter i'm excited to watch is Joanna Champion. All others are either mehhh or took too many steroids and should be fighting against men (nunes, cyborg, etc.)

Exception: michelle waterson she is just eye candy

The only woman fighter i'm excited to watch is Joanna Champion. All others are either mehhh or took too many steroids and should be fighting against men (nunes, cyborg, etc.)
Even Shevchenko?!

they put some women fights in a card filled by men and think that the women are the reason people are watching.

Ronda was overhyped, i'd say that is a special case.

A man has to win several fights to get to the UFC, as well as perform well at the highest level to get promoted, and even then it might not happen. Unless they have some kind of prior accomplishment or celebrity like Brock or Toney.

A woman can take thong selfies on Instagram, not have any real skill, and get thrashed by other unskilled jokes in the UFC and still headline cards.

Sounds about even to me.

Back