Could Genki Sudo's style be successful against today's fighters?

777R

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
1.) Genki Sudo was so far ahead of his time (during the John McCain - ban the sport / fighting for peanuts era), do you think his dynamic fan favorite style would still be competitive and successful today?

His style has yet to be repeated and his departure has left a void in the creative unique evolution of mma.

Nobody does the wild things he did. I miss him and what he brought to the sport. And of course the "We Are All One" sign he held up with all the worlds flags was genius.

2.) Anyone else miss this true sportsman?

Rogan's commentary during his fight against Ludwig was absolutely disgraceful

" Genki Sudo. Sorely missed. A true gentleman and a scholar. Did what he wanted to. Would be a great addition to the understanding of what a real Bushido is and the nature of MMA.
WE. ARE. ALL. ONE! Forever!"

- Tze

1.) Genki Sudo was so far ahead of his time (during the John McCain - ban the sport / fighting for peanuts era), do you think his dynamic fan favorite style would still be competitive and successful today?

His style has yet to be repeated and his departure has left a void in the creative unique evolution of mma.

Nobody does the wild things he did. I miss him and what he brought to the sport. And of course the "We Are All One" sign he held up with all the worlds flags was genius.

2.) Anyone else miss this true sportsman?
one1.png

one2.png

I dunno. But here's my favorite video of him...

Yes, his style + his entrances, such amazing personality he was..

Oh yes, the question. Truth is, that MMA evolved and generally, fighters have more complete skill set these days. It could be a problem for such tricky fighter.

But still, I would watch, that's for sure.

Yes, his style + his entrances, such amazing personality he was..

Oh yes, the question. Truth is, that MMA evolved and generally, fighters have more complete skill set these days. It could be a problem for such tricky fighter.

Pretty much this. Also think he would give Connor all type of trouble on the ground and doing the robot while standing.

But still, I would watch, that's for sure.

Pretty much this. I think he would give Connor all sorts of problems on the ground and doing the robot while standing.

Bad ass and he fought and ankle locked Butterbean.

He had all the skills and he retired before he was 30. Of course he could have been successful. I miss his fights. The man was a showman, but in the most respectful way possible. Which doesn't seem to exist anymore.

He had all the skills and he retired before he was 30. Of course he could have been successful. I miss his fights. The man was a showman, but in the most respectful way possible. Which doesn't seem to exist anymore.

Exactly...Jon Jones could learn a lot from The Neo Samurai.

I remember once trying to buy an official genki Sudo tshirt from his online store in Japan and the shop wrote to me saying they don't ship international to the U.K.

I wrote back saying "I thought we were all one?"

They didn't reply

True story

I guess we ain't all one when it comes to shipping fees

Never really heard much of Sudo and I've been an MMA fan for years. What's the story on this guy and why did he retire so young? Seems like he had potential.

Never really heard much of Sudo and I've been an MMA fan for years. What's the story on this guy and why did he retire so young? Seems like he had potential.

Go to YouTube and check out his highlights, he was cool, calculated, dynamic and mysterious. You never knew what he would do next, whether it was his well prepared one of a kind entrances, or a crazy variety of robotic striking and grappling.

I would post it but having trouble doing it on this device.

There has only been one like him so far. Would be huge today.

Was kind of spiritual and woke up and decided to do something different from what I've read.

Back