Should UFC turn on the arena lights?

Senzo Tanaka

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
One thing that has always bugged me with Zuffa is that every show looks identical. Without them telling you, you couldn't tell if a show was in Vegas or New York. Why is this? They turn the lights off...

You can't see the crowd and you can't see the arena. For a show about fighting, shouldn't the crowd play a bigger role? Imagine watching an NBA or MLB game and they turn the lights off on the crowd where you can't see anyone. It wouldn't be the same. Part of the fun is seeing the crowd, the different arena designs and the reactions as part of what is going on.

UFC wasn't always in the dark however. During the early Zuffa days, the UFC didn't turn the lights off and in my opinion, it looked much better. Once guys got dropped, you'd see people jump to their feet and it made everything more exciting.

Examples:

liddelldropsbelfortt.gif

wanderlie-silva-vs-vitor-belfort.gif

WWE takes things to an entirely different level and the crowd and arena is just as important as the wrestlers themselves. Tons of arena shots, crowd shots. Every show feels a bit unique based on where they are and that is sorely missing from UFC.

I dont watch fights to see the crowd

If fighters blend in with background, it'll be hard to see what's happening.

Nah, focus on the action.
Also why give reason to people to play to the cameras.

The best thing about MMA is when the cage door is shut, it is the fight that matters & why take it away.

Why do all that?...I think it's just fine.

I think they should because it makes for a better presentation on TV. A dark arena always makes the arena seem dead and the audience asleep at a quick glance. I know it is only cosmetic, but the little things do count.

I think they would need to invest in more interactive lighting and led displays similar to what WWE does.

They should also turn up fighters entrance music, so the crowd noise does not drown it out on TV.

The people that matter know the difference between pro wrestling and MMA so UFC should not be afraid to do these things.

During PRIDE fights, the arena lights showed the crowd and gave each fight a sense of magnitude
w.jpg

117869673_display_image.jpg

The problem is that the UFC has a lot of undercard fights that would show an empty arena

Even the main card had an empty arena when I watched a TUF finale at the palms

Also, PRIDE had the crowd right up to a few feet from the ring. The UFC has rows of commentators/journalists/production people etc.
GA-8-25-UFC-Saskatoon-great-crowd.jpg

During PRIDE fights, the arena lights showed the crowd and gave each fight a sense of magnitude

The problem is that the UFC has a lot of undercard fights that would show an empty arena

117869673_display_image.jpg

Even the main card had an empty arena when I watched a TUF finale at the palms

WWE solves this by turning the lights off in the sections of the arena that aren't filled and/or tarping them. How could I forget PRIDE as an example? Even if the Japanese fans didn't get excited often, just seeing tons of people watching as spectators adds to the well, spectacle of it all.

Of all the issues in the world of mma, although not dead last, this one is surely in contention.

Back