Do Fighters Get More Easily Knocked Out When They Are...

Mikey Palangio

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
afraid to engage?

Cigano vs Stipe, it was obvious that Cigano didn't want to just "Bang Bro," and he got KO'd by a guy he previously went 5 rounds with.

Overreem vs Stipe, Overreem ran around the Octagon, got cornered and KOd.

Tyron Woodley vs Nate Marquadt, Tyron was afraid to engage, trapped himself on the fence, and Nate the GreaTRT KOd Tyron.

Lawler vs Woodley, Lawler was afraid to engage and fight like the savage (I think he is over-hyped to be) and he got KOd.

Rousey vs Nunes, Rousey was scared to return and got a standing KO. Before the Holly Holm fight, Ronda would have bulldozed Nunes, and beaten Nunes in the 3rd or 4th round.

There are many more examples.

It is seems when fighters are visibly scared, they get KO'd much faster than when they just embrace the "Just Bleed God."

Look at The Damage, he came back after getting fucked up, but he wasn't scared. Do Hoi Choi vs Cub Swanson, dudes threw everything but the kitchen sink at each other and fought for 3 rounds. Conor threw everything he had at Nate 11 Daiz, Nate took it, and choked him out.

It is seems like if he want to prevent a quick KO, "Don't be scared homie" and embrace the "Just Bleed God" and you might overcome.

Interesting thought. I've always felt that if you focus too much on a specific fear or concern, that fear is much more easily realized. So I say yes.

Meh, you can probably find even more examples of guys coming in overly aggressive and getting clipped and stopped. Hell, just go look at pretty much every time Wanderlei Silva got KO'd.

Golf analogy: If you try your hardest not to hit the ball into the water, you're more likely to hit the ball into the water.

Interesting thought. I've always felt that if you focus too much on a specific fear or concern, that fear is much more easily realized. So I say yes.
I think the same. It is almost like you are already giving your brain a way out, so when that punch comes, it is just that much easier to check out.

Cigano didn't even see the punch Stipe hit with, and it was just a straight punch. He was probably too busy thinking and being scared, he couldn't focus.

Meh, you can probably find even more examples of guys coming in overly aggressive and getting clipped and stopped. Hell, just go look at pretty much every time Wanderlei Silva got KO'd.
Both situations can coexist. You can easily get KOd for being reckless. You can also get easily KOd because you are afraid, and priming your brain to shut off, if the moment comes.

That marquardt KO<6>

That was so fucking savage.....i thought tyron dieded
He just slumped down
People in the audience gasped with their hands over their mouth(see big titty blonde girl in the crowd for reference)
Woodleys momma probably had a heart attack

Then Nate does a fuckin back hand spring with one hand after a 4 round fight!
<Goldie11>

Last edited:
Since when does not engaging mean you're scared to engage? Lawler? Come on he is not afraid to engage we know this.

That marquardt KO<6>

That was so fuck savage.....i thought tyron dieded
He just slumped down
People in the audience gasped with their hands over their mouth(see big titty blonde girl in the crowd for reference)

<Goldie11>
That was amazing! Sadly, Nate has never looked that great since.

That marquardt KO<6>

He just slumped down
People in the audience gasped with their hands over their mom

<Goldie11>
Tyron was so scared he couldn't even defend himself. It is like watching youtube fights were a guy is just folding and let somebody beat him like he is a little child. It is fear that makes people react that way.

But Nate the GreaTRT also had help from some American pharmaceutical grade Mexican Vitamins.

Interesting thread topic, TS. This feels like a chicken before the egg debate. In which case, fighters with weakened chins are timid and would be even more prone to knockouts if they fought aggressive

ex:
old Reem vs new Reem

That marquardt KO<6>

He just slumped down

<Goldie11>

One of the greatest combos i've seen in an MMA fight

1rlPc.gif

I can see it, this remind me when Lombard fought both Palhares and Marquardt, they respect him too much and both got KTFO.

With Overeem I feel his is forced to fight this way after getting KTFO too many times, he is a world class striker and I don't think he is afraid to strike with anybody but gotta protect that chin

Here is your answer...

When you appear timid and do not throw very many strikes your opponent will confidently move forward and throw strikes himself, putting you on the defensive. You have to throw back to keep them away (along with good defense and footwork) otherwise they will keep coming at you.

JDS also has a problem of backing straight up when being attacked and it also appeared he wanted to throw more kicks than anything. He did not want to engage with Stipe in boxing range so JDS was also caught at least once leaning on his back foot, looking to play the kicking game.

JDS may have been cautious because he has taken a lot of damage in his career but he should have moved around more (anywhere but move backwards )and established his jab. JDS has a decent jab but we did not see it at all and because of that Stipe marched forward with no worries.

Last edited:
If the opponent detects that you are less than aggressive, they may feel free to attack with impunity, and be more relaxed and accurate. Imo that's one of the biggest benefits to a pressure based style.

Have to agree. The Self-fulfilling prophecy where you think a negative outcome and that negative outcome occurs.

Back