Romero v Whittaker - who does the 5 rounds favour?

ivory suit

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
This fight is for the interim title, so 5 rounds.

I cant remember either fighter going past round 3

Romero has a number of round 3 finishes, showing that he doesn't slow down.

How does their cardio compare and who do you think has the advantage in a 5 round fight?

Thoughts?

Really hard to say.

Romero SEEMS to gas out, then he suddenly knocks mo-foz into a coma in the third.

I HIGHLY doubt this fight makes it to the fifth round tho.

Both these guys are killers and nasty finishers.

IMO it doesn't matter, fight will be over before the 3rd either way. I think Whittaker catches Yoel (i also favour Gastelum against Yoel, maaybe moose too).

Probably the unpopular opinion but honestly romero. Here's why romero as of recently (last three four fights) is very patient, and mostly feints.
Whittaker is also a counter puncher, with some good jabs, but for the most part i dont think whittaker will be active enough to keep romero at a high pace, so romero gets to pick and choose when he explodes.

Stylistically jacare and rockhold are yoels toughest fights imo

IMO it doesn't matter, fight will be over before the 3rd either way. I think Whittaker catches Yoel (i also favour Gastelum against Yoel, maaybe moose too).

Ok, Whittaker and Moose I can take. But Gastelum? What has that fat WW done that makes you think he can take the #1 guy in the MW division?

He lost to Neil fucking Magny and then went on to win against has beens:

Johnny "USADA" Hendricks
Tim "old guy big layoff" Kennedy
Vitor "flappy no-TRT" Belfort

You can be a fan, just don't be delusional. Yoel murders him inside the first.

Romero is the grappler. The default winner of an MMA fight is always the grappler. Strikers have to do a bit more to win. Grapplers are given points for "dominant position" (whatever that means). Strikers have to actually hurt their opponents to be scored. You don't get a point for throwing a kick that misses, but you get a point for attempting a submission or grounding an opponent.

What are the implications of this scoring system?

Romero can keep a distance, get a takedown late in the round and win the round, without expanding too much energy. He can do this for 3 rounds, and he wins.

Whittaker has to push Romero, and trying to push Romero didn't end up well for all the people he fought. Also, trying to push Romero will make Whittaker vulnerable for an easy takedown.

Whitaker will have to win this fight. The way he beat Jacare. That is much harder than what Romero needs to do to beat Whitaker.

Ok, Whittaker and Moose I can take. But Gastelum? What has that fat WW done that makes you think he can take the #1 guy in the MW division?

He lost to Neil fucking Magny and then went on to win against has beens:

Johnny "USADA" Hendricks
Tim "old guy big layoff" Kennedy
Vitor "flappy no-TRT" Belfort

You can be a fan, just don't be delusional. Yoel murders him inside the first.
A great 1-2 and solid tdd, strong as a bull and good chin. Neil had a HUGE reach advantage, Romero doesn't. who do you think has better striking between Kelvin and Yoel? i really don't see yoel taking him down (at least not keeping him there). Boxing and tdd are key vs Romero.

Normally, my gut reaction would be Whittaker due to the age gap but Romero has shown numerous 3rd round stoppages. The dude seems to keep his power later in the fight.

Really hard to say.

Romero SEEMS to gas out, then he suddenly knocks mo-foz into a coma in the third.

I HIGHLY doubt this fight makes it to the fifth round tho.

Both these guys are killers and nasty finishers.

Agreed, i dont think this goes the distance. I'm hoping for Whittaker to pick Yoel apart just like he did to Jacre.

Back