What takes more guts: Being an UFC fighter or a Surgeon?

James Edwart

Longdongus
@Yellow
Reaction score
Got into a discussion with a friend, he said that it is psychologically to be a surgeon than an UFC fighter. This sounds stupid but got me thinking. What do you think?

Getting into medical school is way more difficult than getting into the UFC.

Numbers wise it's not even close. How many undergrads/young people out there want to be Doctors? WAY more than being UFC champs.

Surgeon >>>>>>>>>> UFC fighter in every facet of life. Brb operating on a live human being vs. doing something we are evolutionary trained to do.

MMA fighter. If an MMA fighter fucks up, he gets fucked up. If a surgeon fucks up, someone else gets fucked up.

Apples and oranges.

But it literally takes more guts to be a surgeon....

giphy.gif

Id say that the mental burden on surgeons is probably higher.... depending on what kind of surgery of course

but thats a really strange but cool question lol, Ive never thought about something like that lol

What kind of surgeon? If you are comparing stuffing women full of plastic vs getting into a cage with Robbie Lawler, I have my answer, buddeh.

I work with surgeons daily, but have trained with fighters... life saving and life taking both take guts, but surgery requires brains.

Id say that the mental burden on surgeons is probably higher.... depending on what kind of surgery of course

but thats a really strange but cool question lol, Ive never thought about something like that lol
I think about it all the freaking time!! Helps me focus during surgery lol!

I think about it all the freaking time!! Helps me focus during surgery lol!
doing that must really help you stay calm under pressure when sparring etc?.... there aint any room for mistakes when you are a surgeon

Lol obviously being a fighter, not even close.

Fighter fucks up and he is broke, beaten down, and garbage.

Surgeon fucks up he has malpractice insurance and a Patty cake medical board that will give him a slap on the wrist. Plus most surgery is boring and routine, you have to try hard to fuck it up, whereas every fight can change in a blink.

It's only hard to get into medical school in the US, once you get in everyone passes through.

Questions like these are weird, because it depends heavily on the individual. Some surgeons are amazing but also autistic or sociopaths and....they don't experience psychological anguish, they just see it as a physical job to complete meticulously and precisely. Same for fighters, some fighters love to fight, they aren't nervous, they aren't solemn, it's fun, they're good at it and they want to go out there and do their thing. Plenty of examples like this. It's a spectrum, then there are surgeons who are haunted by the realities of their jobs and there's fighters that are too, look at Max Baer in boxing for instance. It's both relative and circumstantial.

As for the level of difficulty to become a Surgeon vs getting into the UFC, it's is debatable and entirely relative too. Some people are predisposed to an environment that would nurture one being a doctor or a surgeon just like some fighters are to becoming a fighter. Then there's all sorts of other factors. It's safe to say most surgeons could have never been great fighters and most fighters could have never been great surgeons.

So it's relative, there is no real right or wrong answer...no tangibles here.

People underrating the mental effect of completely fucking up another person you are trying your hardest to help..... fighting at the top level would be a close third to #1 Surgeon #2 Getting shelled in a war.

If the surgeon is an enterologist, he definitely requires more guts to do his job.

Back