Last UFC Champion with Submission base

• Thread starter Deleted member 359865
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 359865

Maia's rise up the WW rankings got me thinking about submission based fighters in the UFC, can anyone think of the last UFC Champion that was actually a submission first guy?

Bustamante was awesome on the ground. Wish he would have stuck around a little longer.

I see the Ronda responses, i cant believe i forgot about how dominant her ground game was as a champion. Her two last losses really made me forget all about what she did accomplish with that slick armbar.

Werdum. He won the UFC HW title by guillotine, and it really wasn't that long ago.

And, of course, Ronda dominated with her subs, but that's similar to Royce's run, so it's a bit different.

Demian Maia.

Oh, you said last, not next?

Tricky question. Out of all the champs say in the last 10 years, who didn't have at least a purple belt? Conor? Brock maybe? I truly can't say, but I suspect even a guy like Conor has enough Jitz training to wrap up the normal joe with a black belt.

frank-mir-belt.jpg

Tricky question. Out of all the champs say in the last 10 years, who didn't have at least a purple belt? Conor? Brock maybe? I truly can't say, but I suspect even a guy like Conor has enough Jitz training to wrap up the normal joe with a black belt.
i meant it more in the sense of submission aggressive champions, those who's gameplan is centered around their ground game rather than their standup

How exactly did you forget about Werdum???

Werdum. He was basically Maia for a very long time, then decided to learn to strike.

Back