Is DJ ducking TJ?

AMST Vallon

Green White & Gold Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Like the title says, do you think DJ is ducking TJ or do you agree with DJ saying he should fight borg first & if TJ wants a shot he should get a win in the division first?

Biggest fight of DJs career that people might actually care about and he wants to brush it off to fight Ray Borg. Fuck off!

TJ going to 125 would be insane on his part. Make DJ come up, that's the whole point.

Yes and it's almost as obvious as Bisping has been. Go into his twitch chat with the other 30 total fans he has and ask him if he'd just consider fighting TJ, he'll block you or put the chat on private almost immediately. TJ will maul him if he isn't completely drained from the cut to 125 and DJ knows it. I can understand why he wants to duck TJ being so close to a historic, never before seen accomplishment in the ufc but that doesn't make it any less pathetic; there's no universe where Ray Borg is more deserving of a title shot than TJ on his current streak. Hopefully Dana threatens to strip him if he refuses the fight, not like he's a draw that needs to be specifically accommodated for.

I don't think so. Never heard of him ducking anyone in the UFC. Hope its at 135 to prove he is the P4P GOAT.

DJ blah blah great blah goat blah.... There's TJ at 135. Fight him.

When Conor got a shot at the LW belt, Sherdog complained.

Now DJ is not giving TJ an automatic shot at the belt, Sherdog complains.

I agree with DJ, if TJ wants his belt, he should fight at that weight at least once.

giphy.gif

Has TJ ever fought at 125 before? It would seem foolish to bounce him into a title fight if he's never fought in the division before.

Wasn't too long ago we saw Pettis miss weight in an interim title fight. And Alves missed weight in his first attempt at LW. Why risk it?

If this fight happens, hope TJ has some long term plans if he wins or loses, and hope he has his standings in 135 covered too.

If he loses to DJ, it could completely ruin his career. I doubt they'd bounce him back up to 135 for an immediate title shot.

Maybe he doesnt want to risk his opponent missing weight and ruining his shot at beating Silva's defense record. But then again Borg has had weight issues in the past as well

I think he doesnt mind fighting TJ but he wants the $ & UFC aint giving it. To be honest, he should fight TJ regardless. It's selfish of DJ to only think short term.

I seriously doubt TJ can make 125. It's just a bad idea all around for three strong reasons:

1) TJ won't have an interest in defending the belt if he wins, he will want his next fight to be at a weight class above his belt. Enough of that crap.
2) If TJ misses weight, the right thing to do would be to scrap the fight. DJ deserves his next fight to be a chance to break the defense record. I hate scrapping fights.
3) As the most dominant champion EVER (Cmon, let's be honest with ourselves and agree that DJ never turned in stinkers of performances like Silva has multiple times) DJ definitely deserves to call the shots. TJ needs to earn his shot at 125, and being a TUF coach against someone with the bantamweight belt who gets injured doesn't earn shit.

We can all agree that Ray Borg is not the ideal candidate for a title shot at 125, because no candidate is ideal. Borg has missed weight twice in four fights, and is only on a two fight win streak. He is not a complete mixed martial artist and would be a serious underdog against DJ. However, literally every other 125lber is a worse option, mostly because they are coming off losses or have lost to DJ in recent memory (or have lost too many times in their careers against DJ).

The only problem with DJ taking the Borg fight is, what do you do with TJ?? It's a TJ problem, and while it should be easy enough to say "too bad, so sad, your prob and not mine", I actually have a good solution:

Book TJ v Dodson 2, have it timed well for Mouse v Borg. The UFC LOVES rematches, so this should be an easy decision for the matchmakers. I'll go so far as to say TJ deserves a good matchup that would make him some money, and a chance to avenge the TKO loss has got to be almost as appealing to him as a chance to avenge his loss to Cruz.. but it makes more sense with Dodson coming off a win. If TJ really REALLY wants to fight at 125 and challenge Mouse for the belt after a flyweight win, throw an extra 20k at Dodson to make it a 125lb fight, he'd probably be down. However, I think the right course of action is TJ v Dodson at 135, winner fights Cogar. Worst case scenario if Cogar is out for too long, TJ/Dodson winner fights the winner of Cruz v next opponent.

So there you have it - DJ v Borg is perfectly fine, TJ should fight JD instead of DJ. All is well in the UFCverse, except Cogar's back, since it's still injured or something.

DJ if you turn this down please don't ever wonder why no one cares about your fights. This is your chance and you're throwing it away.

DJ is 100% correct. TJ has no business walking into a title fight at a weight class he has no intention of competing at. The idea that the UFC wants to risk the longest tenured champ, one who has legitimately cleaned out his division, on a sideshow fight is ridiculous.

By the way, this whole situation blooms out of the dumb idea of putting Cody and TJ on TUF. Postponing the No Brains Dillashaw fight to put it on a reality show when it needed no heat build up at all is biting them in the ass. Cody was completely healthy coming of Cruz and they put him in the cooler instead of building on his win with a quick turnaround. The UFC has become retarded when it comes to matchmaking. They rush fights that haven't materialized yet and the ones right in front of their eyes they postpone.

TJ should just wait for Cody, if he loses (and he will if the fight ever happens at 125) he will lose the title shot at 135.

If TJ can make 125lb I don't think he needs a win at 125 first. He's a former champion in a more competitive weight class, it's obvious he's the best fighter and biggest challenge out of him, Borg or Moreno. If it were a choice between TJ, Joe B and Cejudo, TJ has less of a shot but TJ should easily be the frontrunner in this current scenario.

I've seen concerns about "well what if TJ misses weight". Well, what if Borg misses weight? Out of the two of them only one has a history of coming in overweight.

Back