Could Masvidal drop back down to LW and become champ

zxyss25

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I always thought he was one of the top LWs, who just caught some bad breaks and didnt perform up to his potential on the big stage

However, he did have a good run
-Submitted Chiesa whos top 10
-Should have beat Iaquinta, who has the talent to be top 5 if he stops all the antics and complaining outside the cage
-Lost 3 split decisions at WW to Benson (former champ), Lorenz Larkin whos a top WW talent, and Maia, the next title challenger
-Destroyed Cerrone who was a former title challenger at LW

He never had a problem making weight at LW, seems to be constantly improving, and finally developed his killer instinct and seems no longer intereseted in leaving it to the judges

I think he matches up very well with McGregs, Fergerson

and after his somewhat successful showing against Maia, I think he has the takedown defense to beat Khabib

Masvidal is a legit contender. Just hope it doesn't go to a decision.

I can see him fight for the title. He probably wont beat Tiramisudov but he has a decent chance against Conor & Tony.

you forgot to put he lost to melendez as well

I can see him fight for the title. He probably wont beat Tiramisudov but he has a decent chance against Conor & Tony.
Disagree, Jorge is a nightmare matchup for Tiramisu man. He'll be bigger than Khabib on fight night, his takedown and submission defense is top notch, and he will annihilate Khabib standing. To answer TS' question, hell yeah he can be champ, but it's probably too big of a weight cut by now.

Disagree, Jorge is a nightmare matchup for Tiramisu man. He'll be bigger than Khabib on fight night, his takedown and submission defense is top notch, and he will annihilate Khabib standing. To answer TS' question, hell yeah he can be champ, but it's probably too big of a weight cut by now.
Jorge is not that much bigger than cake boy (I just checked the stats). Similar height with Jorge having a longer reach. His wrestling defence wont be good enough for someone like Khabibsy.

He's a bit of a gatekeeper at LW and WW, IMHO.
I like him and enjoy his fights usually, but he's a lot like Cerrone when it comes to beating top comp.

That would require Conor fighting and it aint happening so, NO

Nah he's outgrown the 155lb division, he'll be at 170 from now on.

Jorge vs Conor is a SICK matchup. However, it's a dream match really (Conor will only fight nate if he doesn't retire after the floyd fight) so i rather him to stay at WW, he has looked great and has a good shot at the belt. I like his chances against Woodley.

I think Ferg would out class him. I like his chances against Khabib though.

I think he gets taken down and beaten up by Khabib - this might be controversial, but I think Khabib is far tougher to deal with on the mat than Maia, as he both controls AND damages you, and has a more variety of takedowns

Either way it would be a good fight as Mas certainly has the tools standing

Masvidal has the skills to be champion, but so do a lot of other guys. Unfortunately I don't think Masvidal is consistent enough nor does he have the fight IQ to be a champion. He could move back down to 155 or stay at 170, I don't think it matters too much there's a lot of fights in both divisions I want to see him in. Personally at 33 years old I think Jorge will do better staying at 170 though.

No. He beat a worn chinned Cerrone and all of a sudden people are thinking he's some world beater when he lost to Bendo at WW who is just a bloated LW (much like Masvidal) at WW. The guy is a solid fighter who can pull some upsets but in all reality will beat the majority of lower and mid-tier guys but is NOT championship material.

He's pretty close to the fucking man at 170...IN fact he maybe.

In a 5 round fight, I think Masvidal beats Maia, and he was sure as fuck very close in a 3 round fight.

He's extremely well rounded, and dangerous for everyone at 155-170. But I think the cut to 55 takes too much out of him. He CAN be champ at 170.

And what a fighter, who's built up a fantastic set of skills overtime to compete and beat ANYONE in a realistic weight class he can fight in.

Back