Khabib Nurmagomedov plans to return in October, still wants interim title shot against Tony Ferguson

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
During a visit to Tashkent, Uzbekistan with a handful of fighters from his ‘Eagles MMA’ fight club, Nurmagmoedov revealed that he plans to resume training during Ramadan but does not expect to return to competition until the Fall.

"Regarding health - I have nearly completed rehabilitation,” said Khabib (h/t ToFight.ru). “I will start to train somewhere in the middle of June. The return is planned for October because I need four months of full training. As for the match, I think, that 90 percent I will fight for the interim title."

By Khabib’s planned return date of October 2017, the Dagestani fighter will have spent 11 months on the sidelines since his last outing at UFC 205 in New York. While aware that other contenders have emerged during his absence, Khabib is only interested in the one fight that has eluded him over the past few years.

"Actually, right now the UFC lightweight division is one of the most competitive. In this case, there are many worthy men who will already fight for the title in the near future. Who I'm going to fight is not yet known, but of course I will insist on a fight with Tony Ferguson because now I do not see any other contenders and I do not want to fight with anyone, but to him.”

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/platform...r-expects-interim-title-shot-against-ferguson

RX-FNM_030111-Sugar-Fix-005_s4x3.jpg.rend.hgtvcom.616.462.jpeg

lolno.
I'm a Khabib fan but he needs at least one more win before he can compete for the belt again.

Tony should not wait for that.

Khabib lost his spot after his Tiramisu debacle.

Dream scenario: Aldo beats Holloway, moves up to 155 and fights Khabib.

I wouldn't take a chance on him making weight if I was Tony, or UFC match maker.

Nope, fuck that noise.

Honestly, how many times we gonna fall for shit like this?

If dude was not getting blood to his liver (an organ that normally has a rich supply of blood), then he really needs to reconsider these atrocious weight cuts.

If you want to eat fries and tiramisu cakes, then fight closer to a weight that allows you to do that. 185. Cutting from 200 to 155 is crazy.

How about no.

He should fight Eddie Alvarez if Alvarez doesn't want to wait around for Poirier. Or the Chiesa-Lee winner. And the UFC should give him a benchmark before granting him a title shot: be able to make weight and fight twice in a six-month period.

You're welcome, Shelby. You're welcome, Dana.

1) khabib didnt eat the tiramisu.
2) he is the best lightweight in the world
3) i still want to see khabib vs tony

His problems with weight, injury and the blackout of Ramadan means he has to take a back seat. Wouldn't be reasonable or fair to book him for a title shot right now.

Tony should agree. Sometimes life doesnt go way you want it like conor holding belt as long as it takes to fight mayweather with no intentions of defending...but Tony and Khabib should fight for nothing less than a strap with their records. Winner will be true champion.

1) khabib didnt eat the tiramisu.
2) he is the best lightweight in the world
3) i still want to see khabib vs tony

Being healthy enough to compete is the absolute bare minimum requirement of being a fighter. He may be the most talented, but he's not the best. If you can't compete you cannot be the best.

Tony should agree. Sometimes life doesnt go way you want it like conor holding belt as long as it takes to fight mayweather with no intentions of defending...but Tony Khabib should fight for nothing less than a strap with thier records. Winner will be true champion.

Whatever the next iteration of the 'interim' title is, Tony will fight for it. But I don't know that he should necessarily have to wait 5 more months for it.

That will make it a full year between fights for Tony. Why waste his prime on the bench? Makes more sense to book him with someone that is going to show up and keep things moving.

Braking news. Khabib suffered an injury while making this announcement.

and let the negotiations begin.

Dana should offer him a top 10, then a top 5, then maybe a title shot in May, if and only if he beats a top 10 and then a top 5 in Sept and Dec.

Dream scenario: Aldo beats Holloway, moves up to 155 and fights Khabib.

AS much as i like Holloway, I just don't think he has the skills to beat Aldo...max doesn't have the power or the speed that conor does...The only chance I see for max, is if in the later rounds, aldo gets tired..otherwise, I see aldo winning easy.

Back