Who will surpass Penn's and Benson's title defenses at LW?

Lavitz

It’s Showtime!
@Black
Reaction score
Both Penn and Benson are tied at 3 title defenses at LW. LW is known for being a deep division with many fighters who have the potential to be champion.

A review of other LW champs defenses:

Pettis:1(Giblert)
RDA:1(Cerrone)
Alavarez:0
Edgar:2(Penn and Maynard) 1 retainment *(Maynard)
Sherk:1(Franca) Later stripped due to drug test.
Pulver:2(Penn and Hallman)

Current Champ:McGregor:0(No fight currently lined up)

Contenders:

Ferguson
Khabib
Barboza

So who do you think has the potential to surpass 3 defenses? McGregor? A contender? Someone else?

Ferguson is crazy, he might defend if he ever got the chance. Khabib has never been beat at lightweight, but who knows if he can make that weight. Conor won't defend 3 times, I don't think.

I mean, Tony Ferguson is already on the 7th longest win streak in UFC history.

Just to tie this title defence record he'll have to go 14-0, which would be the second longest win streak under Anderson Silva.

Last edited:
Conor McGregor

The title will stay with one fighter for a long time after Khabib gets it

That belt is cursed just like HW. The records aren't getting broken in our lifetimes.

Penn only defended the title twice.
no. sherk, florian and sanchez. He won the title beating Big Daddy Joe, beat Sherk then moved up to WW to fight gsp in a champ vs champ bout. He lost that then went on to defend the LW title 2 more times.

I don't see it happening anytime soon. Especially with McNugget holding the division up...again

no. sherk, florian and sanchez. He won the title beating Big Daddy Joe, beat Sherk then moved up to WW to fight gsp in a champ vs champ bout. He lost that then went on to defend the LW title 2 more times.

I'm fairly certain Penn only had the "interim" title when fought Sherk.

maaan, and I was thinking RDA would do it...

Back