#3 Bantamweight matched up with UFC-Newcomer at 213?

VVarhead

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Raphael Assuncao is facing former WSOF Bantamweight champ Marlon Moraes, who has never fought in the UFC at UFC 213 Aldo vs Holloway.

Reminder: Assuncao is #3 Bantamweight in the world and coming off a win over Sterling. His last loss after a 7 fight winstreak was to TSnake Dillashaw.

What is up with that match-making? Does anyone have an explanation? Are the expectations for Moraes really that high?
I've seen a fight of his, it was a good performance but to match him up with Assuncao is .. well.. a suicide mission lol.

Did he ask for that fight? And if Assuncao wins, is he the next contender in the BW division? Is this a #1 Contender fight against a unranked dude? If Moraes wins, does he get a shot? Because BW isn't stacked with contenders right now other than the usual suspect Dominick Cruz and Jimmie Rivera who also has a bout coming up.

Thoughts on the BW division after this fight? Now that Cody vs TJ is off?

Raphael Assuncao is facing former WSOF Bantamweight champ Marlon Moraes, who has never fought in the UFC at UFC 213 Aldo vs Holloway.

Reminder: Assuncao is #3 Bantamweight in the world and coming off a win over Sterling. His last loss after a 7 fight winstreak was to TSnake Dillashaw.

What is up with that match-making? Does anyone have an explanation? Are the expectations for Moraes really that high?
I've seen a fight of his, it was a good performance but to match him up with Assuncao is .. well.. a suicide mission lol.

Did he ask for that fight? And if Assuncao wins, is he the next contender in the BW division? Is this a #1 Contender fight against a unranked dude? If Moraes wins, does he get a shot? Because BW isn't stacked with contenders right now other than the usual suspect Dominick Cruz and Jimmie Rivera who also has a bout coming up.

Moraes is one of the most violent BWs and is easily a top 5, including the UFC, BWs in the world.

So yes the expectations are that high. He's on a 13 fight win streak against very respectable competition.

Moraes is one of the most violent BWs and is easily a top 5, including the UFC, BWs in the world.

So yes the expectations are that high. He's on a 13 fight win streak against very respectable competition.

Good to know, like I mentioned I just saw 1 fight, so that's what I based that statement on.
However I'm still curious about if this is a #1 Contender match.

Marlon Moraes is super legit. He'll probably be the favorite against Assuncao.

You must not have any idea who Marlon Moraes is. Or watch any MMA outside of the UFC.

I couldn't believe the UFC gave a title shot to unknown Gilbert Melendez in his debut

All WSOF champions are getting matched up against Top 10 opponents in their debut.

MARLON MORAES vs. #3 Raphael Assuncao
JUSTIN GAETHJE vs. #6 Michael Johnson
DAVID BRANCH vs. #9 Krzysztof Jotko

So far Branch won and is thus now ranked 9th.

Y'all really have no clue who Marlon Luiz Moraes is, do you?

Rankings don't matter.

Stop trying to justify your confusion with how you think rankings should impact things.

Morales is going to destroy him that's why.

Moraes being booked against Assuncao is remarkably bad booking, but it's also par for the course for notable fighters outside the division. Jake Shields fought one of his worst stylistic match ups in Martin Kampmann coming in, Omigawa faced number 2 Chad Mendes. Moraes is very good but Assuncao is a proven spoiler who, even if Moraes wins, will make Moraes look like less than a million bucks, which probably isn't smart.

Back