Would allowing non-Reebok sponsors end the demand for "money fights"?

Gamer2k4

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Sure, everyone's clamoring for a "money fight" now since Conor proved it could work, but there's no denying that a lot of fighters are far worse off financially than they used to be - even ones who have no business demanding such fights. If fighters are allowed to promote themselves the way they used to, with sponsorships, would that help bring the UFC back to where it used to be? Would we see champions defending their titles again?

Anderson Aldo disagrees.

tsAC2Gg.png

Once they've opened up the "money fight" can its staying open. Even if Reebok went away and fighters got their own sponsors they would still be wanting the biggest UFC money possible.

If you want more money then promote yourself better lol. The UFC are the guys shafting people in their deals not Reebok

"money fights" are something fighters made up. The idea is that if you fight a highly popular fighter you will get paid more because of the people he or she draws. I always found this ridiculous because you should try to become a high profile fighter yourself rather than ride the coat tails of someone else.

That's how these high money fighters make so much is because they do so on their own merits. Admitting you want a money fight is basically saying "you know, im not a very popular fighter nor do I think I'll ever become one. Hey GSP, you up for a fight?"

I think the underlying problem is that these fighters just need to be able to earn a fucking living by fighting. And most of them, even many of the highly ranked ones, just can't.

I think allowing sponsors again would be a good first step. Another would be not forcing fighters to pay for their own fucking training. Every fighter under contract should have a 50K annual training and nutrition allowance or something of the like.

No because the promotion wants to put on the money fights just as bad as the fighters want to land them but the money fights are few and far between and a fighters skills or merit is what makes him or her a money fight. Mighty Mouse in my opinion has the best technique anyway and he can not make much money because the shows he does won't pay for promoting because nobody tunes in. If he was to ask to headline a PPV event they would make a video and send it to worlds funniest videos because everybody would bust out laughing. Dude is almost twice as exciting as anybody on the Roster regardless if you think he has had some easy work he still makes it fun nor has he had easy work that is a casual fan daydreaming again.

Money is the only fucking reason for doing anything that god damn belt does not mean shit to them it just helps make more money that is why they want it. Nate Diaz got fucking paid on 2 fights and I bet if you ask him would he have rather fought For the belt he would laugh at you

no. Fighters want PPV points and opponents that help them sell the most. sponsorship won't change that

Back