Rory vs JV Bellator Roster

joshbish

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Look, Rory is going to become champ in Bellator and be the champ for a long time...Their roster is not what the UFC Roster is. Being that he is going to have great success there, do you really think he could have had the same success in the UFC?

I just don't get the move, unless he is basically going there to wear a belt no matter what. There is no competition there for him, at all, so I believe it will get boring for him.

See him coming back to the UFC in the future, or has that run its course?

Look, Rory is going to become champ in Bellator and be the champ for a long time...Their roster is not what the UFC Roster is. Being that he is going to have great success there, do you really think he could have had the same success in the UFC?

I just don't get the move, unless he is basically going there to wear a belt no matter what. There is no competition there for him, at all, so I believe it will get boring for him.

I think he's the best welterweight on the planet but I'm glad he made an improvement in his personal life rather than waste his time trying to prove something for shitty money

I think he's the best welterweight on the planet but I'm glad he made an improvement in his personal life rather than waste his time trying to prove something for shitty money

But shitty money? Is he really making that much more if more money at all over there? And if he's the best in the world at that weight class, shouldn't he compete with the rest of the best? I get that the UFC and him had their difference, but I would like to see just how lopsided the pay is from Bellator to UFC...

Lets see how he does against Larkin first and if he even gets to become champ

Rorys chin isnt what it used to be

Great move from Rory. He is maybe the best welterweight on planet right in this moment. Who knows? I'm very interested in Larkin vs Rory fight.

Great move from Rory. He is maybe the best welterweight on planet right in this moment. Who knows?
But, wouldn't you like to see him fight Woodley again? Maybe even DM? I'd like to see if he truly is the best in the world...because he is a great fighter.

But, wouldn't you like to see him fight Woodley again? Maybe even DM? I'd like to see if he truly is the best in the world...because he is a great fighter.

Good question. Of course I would like to watch. And those fights will probably never happen. But there are new match ups, new hungry dogs in game. There is always someone on the horizon to fight outside the UFC.

Lets see how he does against Larkin first and if he even gets to become champ

Rorys chin isnt what it used to be

C'mon bro...he should murk Larkin, and I believe that Larkin is good...but we aren't going to see what McDonald's true potential is in Bellator. He needs to be fighting the best. Just sucks...good matches to be made with him.

But shitty money? Is he really making that much more if more money at all over there? And if he's the best in the world at that weight class, shouldn't he compete with the rest of the best? I get that the UFC and him had their difference, but I would like to see just how lopsided the pay is from Bellator to UFC...
I'm guessing Rory made a decision that was beneficial to himself and his new family. He was talking about money shortly before free agency so I imagine he got what he was looking for

You are underestimating the bellator welterweights. I think Koreshkov, Larkin, Lima are all really tough fights for him.

Just looked it up... he made 59k to show in the UFC and MMAfighting.com said he's making somewhere around 5 times more than that now. They didn't provide a source but I'm sure they got that figure from Rory himself. Him and Ariel are pretty tight.

If he went from 60k to somewhere around 200k show money, yes, it was more than worth it

Just looked it up... he made 59k to show in the UFC and MMAfighting.com said he's making somewhere around 5 times more than that now. They didn't provide a source but I'm sure they got that figure from Rory himself. Him and Ariel are pretty tight.

If he went from 60k to somewhere around 200k show money, yes, it was more than worth it

Agreed, if that's the case.

Being that he is going to have great success there, do you really think he could have had the same success in the UFC?
define success, in the context of this question.

he hasn't felt like UFC has treated him as he should be treated. there are a lot of ways to look at this:
  • money talks and nothing else matter, and in that case go with the group you think will pay you the most long term (certainly Dana has made this case many, many times)
    • but pay is complicated
    • there's guaranteed money and potential earnings if all goes well
    • UFC famously pays pretty low on a per fight basis, and huge if you're champ
    • clearly potential earnings is bigger in the UFC
    • but some prefer a higher guaranteed per fight payout over a lower guaranteed payout with a possibility of a huge payout
  • money matters, but so does respect. and some fighters will even take a pay cut for being treated like a valued partner/athlete/employee
    • if you haven't listened to F Shamrock talk about UFC and fighter respect in this interview, you should.
my guess? Rory chose a path that pays him better on a per fight basis (after he goes after sponsor money), but without the potential huge payout if all goes perfectly, but with respect from his employee.

for the sake of this argument, let's assume i'm right. is it fair of us to sit back and judge him for picking the options that he thinks fit him, his career, his family, his livelihood, best....even if you disagree?

or maybe Dana fucked his sister. who knows.

Last edited:
i am not all that informed about bellator, but it's look like they bet on welterweights. It's already the world second most populated weight class ( behind lw) so they already have some great fighter.
On the topic : he will be fine there, I like this move, from Rory stance it's a new begining , fresh start and like I said competition is on a o.k level.
From the fan view : It was the first fight of bellator that really got my intention.
If he prove himself, defend a belt couple of times, it will be spot on to get back at ufc, he will be even bigger draw and more motivated.

Bellator has some great fighters at 170lbs. Rory can take all these guys down at will I'm guessing neutralizing any striking advantage that they may have had.

Back