Woodley: a puncher's chance

LamaIronFist

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
There is no question that Woodley can knock out everyone in the UFC from Mighty Mouse to Mark Hunt with a single punch but in my opinion he will have some issues with Maia.

Woodley is a bit like Hendo. The elephant gun is loaded and he waits for an opening. That's why he did pretty well with Thompson and Lawler. They did not really pressure him.

However Woodley was clearly lost with Rory as Rory had enough punching power to keep him at a distance and T-Wood could not resolve the Rory equation... just like Rory could not resolve the Wonderboy equation.

As for Maia it will be different because Maia is relentless in his search for the takedown. As opposed to guys like Chris Weidman who telegraphs his moves and shoots from way too far, Maia is actually pretty sneaky and explodes from a short distance. Plus his punches are actually pretty powerful. Actually Chael was asked who is the guy who punched you the hardest... I thought he would say Hendo in a practice or something like that. However his answer was Maia.

If Woodley thinks that his college wrestling is a total firewall against a grappling machine like Maia, he is in for a potential surprise. Maybe something like Kos and FItch versus GSP where they were both convinced that their wrestling pedigree would protect them from GSP's purple belt in BJJ and lack of any serious wrestling experience. They bought found out too late that

Being on the ground with guys like Maia, Jacare or even Rockold is not a good place to be.

Anyway both are great dudes and I am OK with any of them as champ.

There is no question that Woodley can knock out everyone in the UFC from Mighty Mouse to Mark Hunt with a single punch but in my opinion he will have some issues with Maia.
<36>

2janq08.jpg

Manhoef hits hard but he isn't much bigger than Woodley.

Woodley is VERY strong at WW, with big power in that right hand and very solid wrestling / counter-wrestling, and even decent leg-kicks. He has more weapons overall to win this fight.

That said, there is NO ONE like Maia in MMA right now, with his hybrid wrestling / BJJ style, If he gets ahold of you, you're screwed, I don't care who you are.

This is actually a very interesting match-up between the top two welterweights in the UFC.

If he paid any attention to Mas chewing that leg up, Woodley kicks like he punches. He has more than a punchers chance.

I remember when Woodley was known in StrikeForce for being a Lay N Pray blanket. I think he's being overrated big time because he caught Lawler. The rest of his UFC fights have been boring garbage. Maia will sub him.

Woodley also isn't afraid of going to the judges in a close fight to get a UD.

2janq08.jpg

Manhoef hits hard but he isn't much bigger than Woodley.

I agree with you, but comparing him to Manhoef who has some of the most scariest KO power ever is pretty suspect.

I remember when Woodley was known in StrikeForce for being a Lay N Pray blanket. I think he's being overrated big time because he caught Lawler. The rest of his UFC fights have been boring garbage. Maia will sub him.
I take it you never saw his fights against Hieron, Koschek, Condit, Kim and his first fight with Wonderboy?

I mean, compare Woodley's stand up against Rory to Maia against Rory. Woodley has gotten quite better since then. Kelvin tried to pressure him the whole fight and got walked into right hands.

I dont think Maia has the stamina to relentlessly go after Woodley. He's too strong and good. If Maia doesnt get him down early I think he's in a bad spot.

Now I see why you only have 32 likes, TS.

I estimate that Woodley has about a 70% chance of ending this fight with punches.

I'm rooting for Maia though, because racism.

Also Maia's takedowns are explosive as fuck, I was surprised by that in the Masvidal fight so T-Wood won't be the only explosive guy in the fight.

I also agree with his power, even Condit admitted he got rocked by Maia's GnP and Condit might have the GOAT chin

Woodley is a bit like Hendo. The elephant gun is loaded and he waits for an opening. That's why he did pretty well with Thompson and Lawler. They did not really pressure him.

However Woodley was clearly lost with Rory as Rory had enough punching power to keep him at a distance and T-Wood could not resolve the Rory equation... just like Rory could not resolve the Wonderboy equation.

As for Maia it will be different because Maia is relentless in his search for the takedown. As opposed to guys like Chris Weidman who telegraphs his moves and shoots from way too far, Maia is actually pretty sneaky and explodes from a short distance. Plus his punches are actually pretty powerful. Actually Chael was asked who is the guy who punched you the hardest... I thought he would say Hendo in a practice or something like that. However his answer was Maia.

If Woodley thinks that his college wrestling is a total firewall against a grappling machine like Maia, he is in for a potential surprise. Maybe something like Kos and FItch versus GSP where they were both convinced that their wrestling pedigree would protect them from GSP's purple belt in BJJ and lack of any serious wrestling experience. They bought found out too late that

Being on the ground with guys like Maia, Jacare or even Rockold is not a good place to be.

Anyway both are great dudes and I am OK with any of them as champ.

Maia punches hard? WHAT?

Back