Conor McGregor boxes like Floyd Mayweather.

Eli1015

Martial Artist
@Brown
Reaction score
(Edit. Due to people misunderstanding my post i will clarify. This post is simply to compare SPECIFIC techniques that are unorthodox to most fighters, that both Conor and Floyd use. That is all.)Before anyone gets amazingly butt hurt. I'm just comparing styles. Not the LEVEL of these techniques. But has anyone noticed this? Conor uses many of Floyd Mayweather's techniques in his fights. Like to the point that it appears obvious he studies floyd. Specifically. He uses the shoulder roll occasionally, keeping his lead hand waist level and attempts to deflect shots with his shoulder and with his elbow. Watch round 2 against eddie. He attempts these techniques when Eddie starts to push forward. Also uses it in his second diaz fight when he's on the fence and Diaz is throwing shots.

Second technique that is obvious. The pull counters. Conor does the pull counter very well. He uses it all the time. Floyd is also the master of the pull counter. For those who don't know. It's when you lean forward slightly, baiting the opponent into striking, then you pull your weight to your back foot avoiding the strike, then counter strike.

It's interesting. I think conor truly admires Floyd's boxing and it's apparent by emulation.

Last edited:
He's even swaggerjacking Floyds boxing style wow.

He wants to be just like Floyd.

And Ronda boxes like Tyson. And Nate Diaz boxes like Tommy Hearns. And Cody McKenzie boxes like Marvin Hagler.

The only people who think there's any similarity between Mayweathers boxing and Conors standup are blind people and even then they'd get that they're nothing like each other from the commentary.

Before anyone gets amazingly butt hurt. I'm just comparing styles. Not the LEVEL of these techniques. But has anyone noticed this? Conor uses many of Floyd Mayweather's techniques in his fights. Like to the point that it appears obvious he studies floyd. Specifically. He uses the shoulder roll occasionally, keeping his lead hand waist level and attempts to deflect shots with his shoulder and with his elbow. Watch round 2 against eddie. He attempts these techniques when Eddie starts to push forward. Also uses it in his second diaz fight when he's on the fence and Diaz is throwing shots.

Second technique that is obvious. The pull counters. Conor does the pull counter very well. He uses it all the time. Floyd is also the master of the pull counter. For those who don't know. It's when you lean forward slightly, baiting the opponent into striking, then you pull your weight to your back foot avoiding the strike, then counter strike.

It's interesting. I think conor truly admires Floyd's boxing and it's apparent by emulation.

5a65dcd6fa62e005211b45f044bef656_not-bad-not-bad-at-all-not-bad-memes_470-312.jpeg

And Ronda boxes like Tyson. And Nate Diaz boxes like Tommy Hearns. And Cody McKenzie boxes like Marvin Hagler.
And the butt hurt begins. I'm just discussing techniques that Conor utilities that Floyd also does. Why are you so hostile about that? Because it's Sherdog and you have to be?

Floyd's style is based upon foot placement, rolling. He will stand in front of the opponent and make them miss, without the need for a dash. He can keep engagement, then decide when he wants to reset.

Mcgregor's if he studies, Floyd, is a poor facsimile. His counters are typical counters for a southpaw, but he has gotten hit way too much, especially while backing up, to make the Floyd comparison too valid.

He got lit the fuck up by Chris Van Heerden. Spence, to say nothing about Mayweather, rapes Conor's soul in the ring.

Floyd is a defensive master. Conor get hit alot and often.

By MMA brawlers and wrestlers

And the butt hurt begins. I'm just discussing techniques that Conor utilities that Floyd also does. Why are you so hostile about that? Because it's Sherdog and you have to be?

What is hostile about that?

Ronda boxes just like Tyson because she uses a lot of hooks.

Nick Diaz boxes just like Hearns because they both try to use their range.

Cody McKenzie boxes just like Hagler because he tries to close the distance.

Obviously just as relative as your comparison.

What is hostile about that?

Ronda boxes just like Tyson because she uses a lot of hooks.

Nick Diaz boxes just like Hearns because they both try to use their range.

Cody McKenzie boxes just like Hagler because he tries to close the distance.

Obviously just as relative as your comparison.
I mentioned the pull counter and shoulder rolls because most boxers DO NOT use these. Only specific boxers throughout history have utilized the lead hand down style, and pull counters. It's not the same as just saying " fighters use hooks, Crosses jabs etc"

Conor is WAY more aggressive than Floyd. Those movements are not specific to Floyd.

I mentioned the pull counter and shoulder rolls because most boxers DON NOT use these. Only specific boxers throughout history have utilized the lead hand down style, and pull counters. It's not the same as just saying " fighters use hooks, Crosse, jabs etc"

It is one specific technique in Floyd's VAST defensive arsenal. It is just about as relevant as Ronda's hooks to Tyson's. Conor boxes nothing like Floyd and one specific technique does not change that fact.

Before anyone gets amazingly butt hurt. I'm just comparing styles. Not the LEVEL of these techniques. But has anyone noticed this? Conor uses many of Floyd Mayweather's techniques in his fights. Like to the point that it appears obvious he studies floyd. Specifically. He uses the shoulder roll occasionally, keeping his lead hand waist level and attempts to deflect shots with his shoulder and with his elbow. Watch round 2 against eddie. He attempts these techniques when Eddie starts to push forward. Also uses it in his second diaz fight when he's on the fence and Diaz is throwing shots.

HURTS ME TO SAY THIS TO U NAZ BUT....

box.jpg

Idiotic comparison. Conor barely uses the shoulder roll, Floyd uses it all the time. Pull counters aren't that rare. No similarities to note.

He boxes like someone that just started a week ago

<45>

It is one specific technique in Floyd's VAST defensive arsenal. It is just about as relevant as Ronda's hooks to Tyson's. Conor boxes nothing like Floyd and one specific technique does not change that fact.
It's actually very important to mention these. Conor and Floyd both use a pull counter where they lean forward on there front foot, bait the opponent to strike, then pull back, and counter. Also the shoulder roll defence isnt "one technique" it's a complete style of defence. It defines him as a fighter, and recently Conor has appeared to adopt it in his fights.

Their styles are nothing alike. May as well say his style is similar to Ali and RJJ based on the way you compared him with Floyd because they all do what Ali called the "anchor punch".

Yes, Conor has been using a philly shell defense lately a little bit, but that doesn't mean he has been watching Floyd specifically. Lots of boxers use that defense and some other MMA fighters use it every now and then (but rarely, of course).

Does this mean Floyd learned from Toney? I'm not saying Conor couldn't have possibly learned something from Floyd when watching him (he has learned a lot about him recently since he's studying him to fight him), but I wouldn't be compare their styles. Overall, they're nothing alike.

It's actually very important to mention these. Conor and Floyd both use a pull counter where they lean forward on there front foot, bait the opponent to strike, then pull back, and counter. Also the shoulder roll defence isnt "one technique" it's a complete style of defence. It defines him as a fighter, and recently Conor has appeared to adopt it in his fights.

That's BS, if the shoulder roll defense, which Conor actually rarely uses, defines him as a fighter you might as well compare him to James Toney.

It's like saying Dos Santos boxes like Larry Holmes because they both throw jabs from the hip.

Back