Who are the "Big Money" fights in each division?

TheBrownRanger

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
With all of these champs seeking a huge payday in the WME-IMG era, I began wondering who the fights with the biggest monetary gain in the UFC were. Each division has to have that "big" fight everyone wants.

My picks would be -
Heavyweight - Cain Velasquez. He has had some decent buyrates and is always on PPV cards. Cain is also the frontrunner of the Mexican MMA market. It's weird how Stipe doesn't seem to be calling for this fight.

Light-Heavyweight - Jon Jones. His build-ups to fights seem to attract attention. His rivalry with DC and, strangely, his numerous controversies increased his marketability massively. Jones is certainly no easy payday for anybody but he's sure to bring asses to seats.

Middleweight - Michael Bisping would be my pick as he is a yuge star in the UK and has sold out there before. The MW title adds a lot to Bisping's worth. Romero, Mousasi, and Whittaker have all called out Bisping, mainly for the title and huge monetary gain. I guess the Chris and Anderson Silva are also up there in terms of marketability as well.

Welterweight - GSP and it's not even close.

Lightweight - Conor McGregor. No need to explain why.

Featherweight - Conor McGregor.

Bantamweight - Dominick Cruz, I guess. Cruz is a good trash-talker and is somewhat well known amongst casuals because of his rivalry with Urijah Faber.

Flyweight - DJ and it's not even close. He has the title and has headlined PPVs before.

Women's Featherweight - Cyborg. Somewhat known with casuals and very famous among hardcore MMA fans. This division has like 3 people though, so whatever.

Women's Bantamweight - Ronda Rousey. No need to explain this one either.

Women's Strawweight - Toss-up between JJ and Paige. JJ is less well-known than Paige, but has been on plenty of decent selling PPVs before. Paige Vanzant has attractiveness and attention on her side.

With all of these champs seeking a huge payday in the WME-IMG era, I began wondering who the fights with the biggest monetary gain in the UFC were. Each division has to have that "big" fight everyone wants.

My picks would be -
Heavyweight - Cain Velasquez. He has had some decent buyrates and is always on PPV cards. Cain is also the frontrunner of the Mexican MMA market. It's weird how Stipe doesn't seem to be calling for this fight.

Light-Heavyweight - Jon Jones. His build-ups to fights seem to attract attention. His rivalry with DC and, strangely, his numerous controversies increased his marketability massively. Jones is certainly no easy payday for anybody but he's sure to bring asses to seats.

Middleweight - Michael Bisping would be my pick as he is a yuge star in the UK and has sold out there before. The MW title adds a lot to Bisping's worth. Romero, Mousasi, and Whittaker have all called out Bisping, mainly for the title and huge monetary gain. I guess the Chris and Anderson Silva are also up there in terms of marketability as well.

Bantamweight - Dominick Cruz, I guess. Cruz is a good trash-talker and is somewhat well known amongst casuals because of his rivalry with Urijah Faber.

Flyweight - DJ and it's not even close. He has the title and has headlined PPVs before.

Women's Featherweight - Cyborg. Somewhat known with casuals and very famous among hardcore MMA fans. This division has like 3 people though, so whatever.

Women's Strawweight - Toss-up between JJ and Paige. JJ is less well-known than Paige, but has been on plenty of decent selling PPVs before. Paige Vanzant has attractiveness and attention on her side.

Since they said BS-PING vs Hendo 2 was a "money fight", the 3rd one has to be THE Money Fight!!

CONNOR is the ONLY money fight

why is that so difficult to understand?

even dana said it

Nate diaz at lw or ww and nick at ww or mw

Realistically Conor and Ronda are the only big money draws that exist in the ufc

Silva still the money fight at MW

The money fight at Heavyweight is Brock Lesnar isn't it?

LHW is Jones

Middleweight is GSP

Welterweight to Featherweight is Conor

There is no money fight in divisions below that

I don't think there are any male "big money" fighters at 145 or below. The lynexception is Conor at 145 but o don't see him going back there.

Aldo, Cruz, DJ are great fighters but I don't see them as great draws. Shit to almost every single casual fan, Aldo is only "that guy Conor knocked out" for the title.

The money fight at Heavyweight is Brock Lesnar isn't it?

LHW is Jones

Middleweight is GSP

Welterweight to Featherweight is Conor

There is no money fight in divisions below that
If we're talking all time, then it would absolutely be Lesnar.
Liddell, Ortiz, or Rampage could be bigger than Jones, money wise

GSP never fought at Middleweight so I didn't put him there.

My picks would be -

Lhw Jones with the right opponent
Mw Anderson is still probably the biggest draw
WW Gsp
Lw Conor

The other divisons have no big money fights,thy have intriguing matches but none that would sell big.

HW... sadly, no one.
LHW... JJ.
MW... Anderson? Maybe Bisping, believe it or not. Or GSP.
WW... GSP. Lawler? Conor, I suppose.
LW... Conor. Nate.
FW... Conor.
BW... Cody. TJ. Cruz... if they fight each other.
FLW... nobody.

Conor- JJ
Conor- Stipe
Conor- Woodley
Conor- Aldo
Conor- Nunes
Conor- dc
Conor- Cody

Back