Learning How To Be A Super Striker....

Mikey Palangio

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Is a waste of time in MMA. Why waste all that time sharpening eye to limbs coordination, distance management and timing, when you can easily win a MMA fight by taking somebody to the ground (which relatively doesn't take as much skill).

Fact: most fights end up in the ground, regardless of how well the fighters are skilled in takedowns. So, if you invest most of your time learning how to be more effective in takedowns, you will have as much success and take less damage.

MMA is a grappling sport, and it is scored for grapplers to have the advantage. A fighter only needs enough striking to (1) make the opponent hesitate (2) get in better takedown position.

1 takedown is worth a 10 punches and 20 kicks. Plus it takes less skill, scores more points, and the risk for damage is lower.

Thoughts.

Is a waste of time in MMA. Why waste all that time sharpening eye to limbs coordination, distance management and timing, when you can easily win a MMA fight by taking somebody to the ground (which relatively doesn't take as much skill).

Fact: most fights end up in the ground, regardless of how well the fighters are skilled in takedowns. So, if you invest most of your time learning how to be more effective in takedowns, you will have as much success and take less damage.

MMA is a grappling sport, and it is scored for grapplers to have the advantage. A fighter only needs enough striking to (1) make the opponent hesitate (2) get in better takedown position.

1 takedown is worth a 10 punches and 20 kicks. Plus it takes less skill, scores more points, and the risk for damage is lower.

Thoughts.

FORGET ABOUT GRAPPLING & STRIKING,
I HAVE MY OWN SYSTEM !!

gordeau.jpg

Don't forget head movement.

You must have not been paying attention these past couple of years. Takedowns aren't scored nearly as highly anymore. Also you can even win a decision off your back now if the guy on top isn't doing jack shit (Hendricks vs Magny). I don't know where you've been but almost all the current champions are strikers.

being exciting, and interesting are most important these days, to me I like the Robbie Lawlers and Carlos Condits because they do not talk very much and when they do it is humble and respectful but they also carry a big stick meaning the whoop as and do it in a brutal fashion. Two guys you definitely don't to piss off because they are very violent by nature. These so called new fans that have to have 2 guys hating each others guts I just don't understand and thankfully so. I have heard many times some fucking idiots calling for Nick and Nate Diaz to fight and you won't find 2 brothers that tight on any street corner. Basically to be a superstar you have to be a donkey's ass

Until you get matched up with someone who has great tdd and you cant take them down and you literally have the striking prowess of a cindy dandois.

You must have not been paying attention these past couple of years. Takedowns aren't scored nearly as highly anymore. Also you can even win a decision off your back now if the guy on top isn't doing jack shit (Hendricks vs Magny). I don't know where you've been but almost all the current champions are strikers.
Maia beat Masvidal and all Maia did was take him down and piggyback him. People were saying Weidman won the first round versus Mousasi, and all Weidman did was take him down for a few seconds.

You get a takedown, you have a better a chance of winning the round. A striker has to strike the opponent to visible damage to overcome the deficit of being taken down.

Until you get matched up with someone who has great tdd and you cant take them down and you literally have the striking prowess of a cindy dandois.
My point is based on generalization.

Chances are you win more fights being a master at takedowns, and an average striker than being a master striker and average at takedowns.

So, it makes more sense to master the skill that takes less talent but gives high yield rewards than a skill that takes more talent but not as high yield, when the two skills are matched.

Of course it is best to be a master at everything, but only a few people have the talent and resources to do that.

Maia beat Masvidal and all Maia did was take him down and piggyback him. People were saying Weidman won the first round versus Mousasi, and all Weidman did was take him down for a few seconds.

You get a takedown, you have a better a chance of winning the round. A striker has to strike the opponent to visible damage to overcome the deficit of being taken down.
Not really, Maia was going for submissions. There's a difference between having somebody's back and just simply taking them down. If all you can do is hug your opponent like Hendricks you're still going to lose.

Not really, Maia was going for submissions. There's a difference between having somebody's back and just simply taking them down. If all you can do is hug your opponent like Hendricks you're still going to lose.
As long as Masvidal has two hands on Maia's left arm, Maia was NEVER going to get the choke. So, Maia keeping that position for half of the fight is not "effective grappling." Effective grappling leads to (1) GnP and/or (2) Submission. If these things don't happen, I don't whay anybody could call what Maia did "effective grappling."

The goal is (1) finish or (2) damage, Maia's grappling didn't accomplish any of these criteria.

Strikers don't get points for "going for the KO" if their punches are not landing or getting blocked and checked.

Grappling is "All or Nothing" If you don't get the submission you shouldn't be rewarded for an arbitrary "dominant position." This is just my opinion, as a casual observer.

Back