Why Are UFC Fighters Going On Retreats...

Mikey Palangio

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
like some corporate employees? hahaha

Company retreats is a tactic the corporations use to build teamwork and leadership skills for their EMPLOYEES. I thought fighters were suppose to be "Independent contractors."

So, you are going to go on a retreat have a heart to heart with other fighters, and then fight some of the same fighters at the end of the month?

The whole thing is silly.

These fighters should be forming an association and lobbying to get MMA included in the Ali Act, the association should be thinking of rules that make it fair for fighters to get title shots and performances bonuses (and not to leave those opportunities up to the whim of a bald guy who talks too much).

Crazy that top boxers get paid top money to fight on FREE cards, and a top MMA fighter can only do U$3M on a 1M PPV.

These fighters aren't taking care of their long term business.

Uhh part of the sweet reebok deal dude?

Ever hear of work perks?

Uhh part of the sweet reebok deal dude?

Ever hear of work perks?
Are they employees or independent contractors?

The fighters are not UFC staff. Company retreats are for people like Megan Olivi, Shaun Shelby, Dana White and other UFC staff.

These fighters need to realize they need an association to negotiate with the UFC (if the UFC is trying to be like the NFL). If the UFC is nor trying to be like the NFL, then they need to lobby to get MMA included in the Ali Act, and take control of their talents and future prospects.

Most ufc fighters are idiots or too scared to stand up for themselves so they will continue to get screwed over by porky pig.

Are they employees or independent contractors?

The fighters are not UFC staff. Company retreats are for people like Megan Olivi, Shaun Shelby, Dana White and other UFC staff.

These fighters need to realize they need an association to negotiate with the UFC (if the UFC is trying to be like the NFL). If the UFC is nor trying to be like the NFL, then they need to lobby to get MMA included in the Ali Act, and take control of their talents and future prospects.

Exactly dude that's why they're so lucky!
Independent contractors being treated like 'Megan Olivi' etc
It's a sweet deal !

Yes the fighters need to separate themselves from corporate...it's just a divide and conquer scheme to get them to turn on one another so corporate has total control of the fighters

Fighters need a fighter union, not this bullshit

Yes the fighters need to separate themselves from corporate...it's just a divide and conquer scheme to get them to turn on one another so corporate has total control of the fighters

Fighters need a fighter union, not this bullshit
That is exactly what it is. They are creating this "we care about you" environment to make the fighters feel guilty about tough negotiations.

You are right. Fighters need to create an association that will handle stuff like "what is the path to a title shot for a fighter?" "what is the path to a performance bonus?" "what percentage of the UFC net profits are fighters entitled to?" "what percentage of advertisement profits are fighters in entitled to?"

This is serious business with long term implications. To not be serious about this much amount of money is blatantly ignorant.
Even if the UFC "is good to [you]" they are still financially raping you, and you are not even getting 45% of all the money you make for the UFC.

Conor the top guy gets U$3M for a 1M PPV. In boxing that is nothing less than U$10 - 15M.

TS is making this shit up. Any links on fighters bitching about going on "mandatory" retreats? As someone who has a real job, and has worked with companies/coorprations who have utilized this strategy (it is rarely mandatory) unless your job is to coordinate the retreat.

I've never been on one for the record. I've traveled enough in my life and think these retreats are gay.

like some corporate employees? hahaha

Company retreats is a tactic the corporations use to build teamwork and leadership skills for their EMPLOYEES. I thought fighters were suppose to be "Independent contractors."

So, you are going to go on a retreat have a heart to heart with other fighters, and then fight some of the same fighters at the end of the month?

The whole thing is silly.

These fighters should be forming an association and lobbying to get MMA included in the Ali Act, the association should be thinking of rules that make it fair for fighters to get title shots and performances bonuses (and not to leave those opportunities up to the whim of a bald guy who talks too much).

Crazy that top boxers get paid top money to fight on FREE cards, and a top MMA fighter can only do U$3M on a 1M PPV.

These fighters aren't taking care of their long term business.
it's a preemptive action to prevent any unionizing efforts by the fighters, pure and simple. They would rather lose money in the short term bribing fighters to maintain goodwill then risk the threat of collective bargaining. Nothing terrifies executives more than empowered labor.

Our most vocal hero was Al Iaquinta, and WME bought him off. The worker's struggle has failed.

This is obviously a desperate attempt by the UFC brass to build loyalty towards the news owners. The problem is they have no answers for shitty pay and the shitty Reebok deal and people are seeing through the BS. Get the popcorn ready...

it's a preemptive action to prevent any unionizing efforts by the fighters, pure and simple. They would rather lose money in the short term bribing fighters to maintain goodwill then risk the threat of collective bargaining. Nothing terrifies executives more than empowered labor.

Our most vocal hero was Al Iaquinta, and WME bought him off. The worker's struggle has failed.

This as well.

what's wrong with some fun and frolick? not everything is a conspiracy you know
and by the videos i ve seen the fighters are having fun
UFC gets to show off it headquaters
everyone leaves happy

To be fair they are fighters so you can't expect them to know what they are getting themselves into…

I'm sure it's a mistake they won't make again.

I think it's because most UFC fighters are going to say but no one told me not to blow away all my money and end up broke, or no one told me I have to pay income tax.

Most guys like to oil up and go on vacation with other guys in their underwear. Where I'm from they call it camp.

That is exactly what it is. They are creating this "we care about you" environment to make the fighters feel guilty about tough negotiations.

You are right. Fighters need to create an association that will handle stuff like "what is the path to a title shot for a fighter?" "what is the path to a performance bonus?" "what percentage of the UFC net profits are fighters entitled to?" "what percentage of advertisement profits are fighters in entitled to?"

This is serious business with long term implications. To not be serious about this much amount of money is blatantly ignorant.
Even if the UFC "is good to [you]" they are still financially raping you, and you are not even getting 45% of all the money you make for the UFC.

Conor the top guy gets U$3M for a 1M PPV. In boxing that is nothing less than U$10 - 15M.

You're crazy if you think Conor didn't get PPV points, you see he's in Forbes 100 highest paid athletes?

You're crazy if you think Conor didn't get PPV points, you see he's in Forbes 100 highest paid athletes?
Forbes is not based on facts. Conor is not releasing his bank statements and tax returns to Forbes so they can place him on some list. Plus, Conor hasn't posted his checks on social media like Floyd does. So, we can't assume that Conor has made anything more than U$3M for the Alvarez fight.

The only thing we know is what is released by the Athletic commissions, and those are the numbers I am going with.

A boxer who consistently sells 1M PPV would be asking for nothing less than U$15M. That is a significant difference from U$3M.

Back