Who was around here when Shogun ran through Rampage and shocked the MMA world?

CereserBr

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

I started watching MMA in 2006 so... Only discovered Shogun and Wand by the end of 2006.

Old Guys :D, share your memories of the year of 2005, when Shogun and Gomi made history!

This is the part where we all pretend we've been watching MMA and we've seen everything live.

Wand destroying Arona meant way more to me.

I wasn't here, I was over there, but Shogun was just as tough.

His hair, was perfect!

This is the part where we all pretend we've been watching MMA and we've seen everything live.

Wand destroying Arona meant way more to me.
Did he ever do that? Honest question.

All I ever saw was that backstage video of Arona pissed off because he didn't get the decision.

Was Brutal. The only live event I've ever seen though was Silva kicking the shit outta Lee Murray.

I started watching MMA in 2006 so... Only discovered Shogun and Wand by the end of 2006.

Old Guys :D, share your memories of the year of 2005, when Shogun and Gomi made history!

Yeah I'm one of the old guys who was watching since UFC 1, and I remember it very clearly. Rampage had just gone to war vs Shogun's brother Ninja, and in most people's opinion, including his own, he got a gift decision. Then Shogun came in the ring, and the two respectfully agreed to fight. Then a few months later Shogun went in there and cut through him like a hot knife through butter, and I remember thinking:

im-not-surprised-rb1ien.jpg

I had just gotten into MMA and Rampage was my guy. He's still my guy and I still try to pretend that fight never happened lol

I had just gotten into MMA and Rampage was my guy. He's still my guy and I still try to pretend that fight never happened lol
Is he still your guy or still your boy?

How long before Perry's debut was that?

TBH I was training MMA (though at the time was each discipline separately) when I heard the guys talking about Pride.
I had to find a place to rent the Videos. Most of what I saw was out of order but still I was in awe.

This fight I didn't see until much later.

I don't remember it being the shocker you are talking about, Wandy had already put Rampage down twice by then, and Shogun was rumored to be the faster and better striker of the two.

I think what he did to Arona was more surprising.

I was. I knew he trained with Wand (who along with Fedor was my favorite fighter) but I was shocked when he destroyed Rampage so easily and ended up beating so many top guys that year. It was an amazing time. I've been following MMA since the early ufc events (somewhere between 1-3 but can't remember). My all time favorite periods of MMA (or NHB as it was at the time) were the early ufc style vs style events and Pride in 2003-2006 (the ufc was good, but secondary at the time).

I think Pride/ufc in 2003-2006 was the best MMA fighters in their prime, in the prime of MMA. It was a special time and nothing has ever recaptured that since. If MMA was a 10 out of 10 at that period of time, it's a 3 out of 10 to me now.

Back