Biggest event letdowns in MMA history? (Wasted Hype)

Threetrees

He/Him
@plutonium
Reaction score
What event had you buying wolf tickets only to leave disappointed?

The correct answer, because there is a correct answer, is UFC 114 : Black on Black Crime

Two of the most polarizing athletes in the sports history, two former champions, both still near their competitive peaks (both would challenge for the belt again)

Coming off of the most entertaining season of TUF in terms of personalities and banter

And the fight was absolute garbage
Not only that but the event was pretty bad too
John Hathaway almost KO'd Diego but then cruised to a decision after almost ending it with a knee early
Mike Russow gave us the most violent hammer fist in history by using the Homer Simpson defense over at the time hot prospect Russow
I guess watching Brilz shutdown Smaller Nog's deep half was entertaining

but man

what say you Sherdog, worst events that you were most excited for?

GSP vs. Shields. Great promo video, but the last time I ever rooted for that liar.

mn2elh.gif

You are probably right about Rampage/Rashad being the worst offender.

Second place might have to go to Woodley/Wonderboy rematch at 209. That was an abomination of a main event.

Condit's touch-n-run fan swindle

tumblr_mfgqgidnqh1r8s9rwo1_500.gif

that matchup should have been one of the greatest fights of all time

just because of how quick it was?

Both of them, how embarrassingly quick it was.

I was expecting Leben/W.Silva to be a potential sloberknocker of the year.

And Hughes/Penn3 was the end of a trilogy many fans were wanting to see for years, and a 15 second KO was embarrassing for Hughes and was a big factor why he took a year off and only came back to get KOed, again, by Koshcheck, and finally retire.

Great one

Right?
I think that's probably the only boring fight that Condit actually has (Diaz has a couple, but like this one they're pretty much never actually his fault)
I was so excited for just the war that it should have been

Conor vs Aldo, 13 seconds is just not enough for a year long build up.
Woodley vs Thomson II, 25 minutes is too much if you are watching a crap of a fight.

Damn. How the fuck did I forget about that one? I was so nervous for Diaz going into this fight, with Condit's finishing percentage. Then the fucker has the gall to play marathon man. Fuck that noise.

Great one

Right?
I think that's probably the only boring fight that Condit actually has (Diaz has a couple, but like this one they're pretty much never actually his fault)
I was so excited for just the war that it should have been

Condit lost like half his fan base just off that one fight, lol

I remember for the next good while, every Condit youtube video had like a 10/1 dislikes to likes ratio

As for UFC114 I was for Rashad and won a lil change so I enjoyed it more than most. The hype though and the amount of crap Rashad and Rampage talked you would have thought there was going to be a murder in the cage. I was on the other end though with GSP/Diaz where I bought into Diaz's hype and trash talking only to see him get schooled. I've tried not to set my expectations too high for any fights in boxing and mma.

Honorable mention goes out to mr. number one bullshit

Damn. How the fuck did I forget about that one? I was so nervous for Diaz going into this fight, with Condit's finishing percentage. Then the fucker has the gall to play marathon man. Fuck that noise.

Same. That was one of those duds that did damage too, because a lot of fans brought casuals in to watch because 'oh, you don't want to miss this one'. Then Condit took a big dump on everyone, and people were like 'oh this UFC stuff sucks'. The boos in the arena were drowning out his speech. One of the biggest letdowns ever

Back