Anthony joshua vs JDS in a mma fight.

shortlefthook

305 where I reside
@Black
Reaction score
i was thinking about this the other day, jds is not a very complete mma fighter.
-he doesn't go for takedowns
- his grappling is revolved around standing back up to his feet
- his stand up is primarily boxing
so what advantages would he have against a high level boxer in the cage?
see if were talking cain then i pick cain all day because his wrestling, but as far as jds i dont think i have ever seen him shoot a takedown, he just wants to box at range.
he made a career out of outstriking guys who cant take him down, or simply cant hang with him striking, but what happens when you throw a seasoned heavyweight boxer in the ring with jds? does he simply start wrestling like we've never seen before? or does he stick to his roots and try and stand with joshua and end up going to sleep? srs question.

if JDS chooses to stand with Joshua he gets put to sleep. No shame in that though.

JDS wins vis Sub. then again Mark Hunt had a successful UFC run with 0 groundgame.

HWs can have low fight IQ sometimes

While obviously he doesn't really incorporate takedowns into his offense consistently, JDS definitely double legged Hunt, and maybe Carwin too. It seems more to be something he does when he knows he's broken his opponent.

While obviously he doesn't really incorporate takedowns into his offense consistently, JDS definitely double legged Hunt, and maybe Carwin too. It seems more to be something he does when he knows he's broken his opponent.
yea but it wasn't like a Cain Velasquez double, it was a 'i figured your timing out i can do whatever i like' type double.
thats going to be much harder against a patient big boxer like joshua, i really have a hard time seeing jds win this fight, his biggest weapon isn't going to be effective, and i haven't seen him settle into a fight by grappling, always striking.

yea but it wasn't like a Cain Velasquez double, it was a 'i figured your timing out i can do whatever i like' type double.
thats going to be much harder against a patient big boxer like joshua, i really have a hard time seeing jds win this fight, his biggest weapon isn't going to be effective, and i haven't seen him settle into a fight by grappling, always striking.
Well obviously, yeah. I was just addressing your statement that he had never shot a takedown-- he has, just very rarely (I mean fuck, that Hunt fight was 4 years ago now).

I imagine that he'd win pretty easily. Most boxers have issues adjusting their guard and timing when coming over to MMA.

JDS taps him out faster that you can say "James Toney".

I imagine that he'd win pretty easily. Most boxers have issues adjusting their guard and timing when coming over to MMA.
i usually agree, but i handpicked Joshua because he uses high elbows guard allot in boxing, and hes very long, so he doesn't really need the big gloves to block, and hes only going to be faster with 4oz gloves.

i have REAL hard time seeing jds outstrike joshua in any cage any ruleset.
jds is great def deserves to be champ, but i objectively see him having trouble against anyone who can out strike him.

If Joshua can connect without JDS being able to take him down, Joshua wins handily.

If any of the UFC heavies were competent boxers they sure as well wouldn't be in the UFC when they could be boxing

I would assume he has a decent ground game and we just never get to see it. Surely he would shoot for a takedown and work from there. I imagine it going like Gall/Punk, but even less defense on the ground (Punk wasn't awful defending for a bit).

Then again he might just stand and bang. I always wonder when Roy Nelson comes out why Rogan always carries on about how he has a legit ground game and we never get to see it. He headhunts the entire fight and gases pretty quick. I wish for one fight before he is gone that he would go for a takedown before he gases and let us see how he does.

If any of the UFC heavies were competent boxers they sure as well wouldn't be in the UFC when they could be boxing

This makes absolutely no sense.

Werdum started off in BJJ
Cain in wrestling
Barnett in wrestling
JDS in BJJ
Hunt in KB

Most of the top 10 specialized in a discipline that was not boxing before becoming MMA stars

If Joshua can connect without JDS being able to take him down, Joshua wins handily.

but i think theres hws that are just bad stylistic matchups for boxers, i would favor cain in a mma fight against every top level boxer, because im confident in cains grappling ability, but i think guys like overeem and jds both could lose to a top level boxer like joshua in a mma fight.

i usually agree, but i handpicked Joshua because he uses high elbows guard allot in boxing, and hes very long, so he doesn't really need the big gloves to block, and hes only going to be faster with 4oz gloves.

i have REAL hard time seeing jds outstrike joshua in any cage any ruleset.
jds is great def deserves to be champ, but i objectively see him having trouble against anyone who can out strike him.
I'm not terribly familiar with him. I gave up on boxing a few years back. Just a trend I see, especially on local circuits.

Junior, by Rear Naked choke or maybe a Heel hook.

He could also outgrapple him, and when AJ tires stand up and powershot him directly in the face.

Back