Has any fighter ever besides Cro Cop fought(and beat) a top 10 ranked fighter in his MMA debut?

crofighter

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Cro Cop beat :

Kazuyuki Fujita - Aug/19/2001 -- K-1 - Andy Hug Memorial
7 HW - 2001 - Aug 14 - MMA Media Top 10
6 HW - 2001 - Aug 6 - Stepehen Quadros

Fujita+CroCop.jpg

Is there any other case like this?

Bj Penn vs Joey Gilbert
Gilbert ranked 9th at the time

BTW, I got one: Marcio Cromado choked out Caol Uno in his debut. I don't know exactly what Uno was ranked, but he was widely considered one of the best LWs on earth at the time.

Another one, also from Shooto: Alexandre Pequeno choked out Noboru Asahi in his debut. Asahi's only loss in the previous 7 years was to Royler Gracie and he was easily one of the best 145 pounders in the world.

Cindy Dandois beat Marloes Coenen in her MMA debut.

Not exactly on topic or a win but Lando Vannata taking it to #3 T-Ferg in his UFC debut was impressive

Hidehiko yoshida submitted Don Frye in his MMA debut, who was highly ranked a few years earlier, although he was not top 10 at the time of the fight I believe.

Yoshida was a top 10 fighter himself at one point I believe, and lost to the much larger Rulon Gardner in Gardner's only fight

I got to believe Travis Wiuff was at least top 15 when King Mo best him in his MMA debut.

I found it!!

Chase beebe was ranked #8 at bantamweight when he lost to Joe Warren in Warren's MMA debut.

Warren went on to beat p4p contender KID Yamamoto in his 2nd fight too

I donno about his MMA debut but Junior Dos Santos did pretty well in his UFC debut.

I haven't thought about it, but a noob is probably most likely to be successful at HW than other divisions.

No noob would win against a top guy at 155.

Does Frank Shamrock count? He beat Bas Rutten in his MMA debut, have no idea where Bas was ranked at the time though.

Fujita is a terrible example, and a perfect reason to distrust rankings.

Fujita is a terrible example, and a perfect reason to distrust rankings.
why?

its 2001. Fujita is essentially undefeated with 7 wins including over Mark Kerr, Ken Shamrock and Gilbert Yvel in the space of a year.
his only loss was when his corner threw in the towel at the opening bell.

SHERDOG RANKINGS:
July 17, 2001
HEAVYWEIGHT 205 lbs. and up (93 kg and up)
1. Coleman, Mark 156
2. Couture, Randy 135
3. Vovchanchin, Igor 114
4. Rizzo, Pedro 111
5. Fujita, Kazuyuki 91
6. Nogueira, Rodrigo "Minotauro" 81
7. Herring, Heath 55
8. Kerr, Mark 40
9. Barnett, Josh 36
10. Telligman, Tra 30

Back