Anyone else impressed with Islam Makhachev?

VanMMA

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
20150522052750_5D3_3876.JPG

Islam is 14-1(3-1 in the UFC). He suffered a knockout loss to Martins but since then has rebounded quite impressively. His fight with Chris Wade was a great chess match. His grappling ability really shined in that fight because he just wouldn't accept an unfavorable position.

His performance against Nik Lentz was also excellent. Completely outgrappling and dominating Lentz is a big deal IMO.

I believe Islam has potential to be a serious contender at lightweight.

Last edited:
I think he's by far one of the best grapplers at that weight class. A mini Khabib. He's got to improve his striking and striking defense though, if he can add that element to his game, he'll be really good.

I think he's by far one of the best grapplers at that weight class. A mini Khabib. He's got to improve his striking and striking defense though, if he can add that element to his game, he'll be really good.
Yea, striking improvement would be great.

I'd be really interested in seeing him fight Kevin Lee. I think it would be quite fun.

To be honest, he seems like a decent prospect at 155lbs he's only 25 but I have not been by any means impressed, he didn't look great vs low level guys like Nik Lentz and Chris Wade and he was knocked out by Adriano Martins who's not a top 20 Lightweight but a good fighter. I think there are much better Kavkaz prospects the UFC has recently signed like Zabit and Bibulatov, I also think guys like Rashid Magomedov, Rustam Khabilov and Mairbek Taisumov are much better Lightweights as it is in the UFC. ( Mairbek Taisumov needs respect, Pettis ducked him).

20150522052750_5D3_3876.JPG

Islam is 14-1(3-1 in the UFC). He suffered a knockout loss to Martins but since then has rebounded quite impressively. His fight with Chris Wade was a great chess match. His grappling ability really shined in that fight because he just wouldn't accept an unfavorable position.

His performance against Nik Lentz was also excellent. Completely outgrappling and dominating Lentz is a big deal IMO.

I believe Islam is a guy that has potential to be a serious contender at lightweight.
I love to bet on this guy (and almost all Russian wrestlers). He's consistent he knows how to win rounds he's great in scrambles but I'm not sure how high his ceiling is. His striking is lacking (like almost all Russian wrestlers). We will see.

He might not have a very marketable name for the American market.

More disappointed, he seems to have all the talent but never seems live up to it.

I like him a lot. His striking is bollocks though, like most of the Dagestani grapplers, so he needs to work on that before achieving much.

Potential to be a perennial also ran at 155.

I like him but I'd like to see more people submit to Islam.

Something for him to work on. (& also those other Caucasus grapplers, very controlling, & I like watching their skillz, but finishes are always appreciated)

This guy is supposed to go toe to toe with kebab in the sparring according to kebabs dad.

Back