How does Aldo do at 155?

Armitage Shanks

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I was just thinking how if Aldo moved up to 155 it might make 155 the most talent packed division we have ever seen in the UFC (if it isn't already).

For me, it's where all the fun and money is for Aldo if he beats Holloway. But how do you think he does? I'd sneak him into top five, but I don't think he beats Ferguson or Khabib, but I could see him beating Nate if he manages to get on the inside or chop down those legs. If I'm Aldo I'm thinking about how I can make a Conor rematch the best fight in UFC history...and he'd do that by being the new Champ Champ, and snatching Conor's 155 Interim.

Top 5.

Probably the worst matchup out there for Khabib too.

I also think he would have soundly beaten BJ, Frankie, Bendo and Pettis while they were champs.

Excellent striking offense and defense, amazing TDD, very fast and strong. Yeah I think he'd do well at LW. As mentioned, maybe one of the few guys that would beat Khabib.

I honestly don't see anybody being able to beat him at 155. Obviously Conor or anyone else could catch him. But if he stays focused and fights his fight. I don't think anyone could beat him.

I also think that is where he is headed win or lose vs Max.

Top 17:

Conor
Khabib
Tony
Alvarez
RDA
Barboza
MJ
Chiesa
Nate
DP
Dariush
Raging Al
Kevin Lee
Melendez
Gaethje
Dunham
Magomedov

Not many easy fights for Aldo. IMO he beats Lee, Dariush, Dunham (duh), Mago, Al, Gil, Poirier, Chiesa, MJ, Barboza and Alvarez, while Conor, Khabib, Tony, Nate, Gaethje and possibly RDA will be tough tough fights where he'll have some losses if he fights most of them.

LW is an established division, has tons of depth where you have to go through the gauntlet to even be a contender, which makes it much tougher to go on a streak than at FW, a new(ish) division.

Khabib is a great matchup for him. He'd beat most people. Someone like Cerrone would beat him.

I don't know why everybody seems to have given up on this fight. I didn't even know why they did back then. I think Aldo 2 was bigger than Nate 1. Nov after how Nate 1 played out that became a huge thing but PPV wise I don't think there is any bigger fight for Conor in the UFC. But a bigger Conor might be tough for Aldo. Aldo is such a beast though. I wish both he and the UFC would be a bit more ambitious with him.

Top 17:

Conor
Khabib
Tony
Alvarez
RDA
Barboza
MJ
Chiesa
Nate
DP
Dariush
Raging Al
Kevin Lee
Melendez
Gaethje
Dunham
Magomedov

Not many easy fights for Aldo. IMO he beats Lee, Dariush, Dunham (duh), Mago, Al, Gil, Poirier, Chiesa, MJ, Barboza and Alvarez, while Conor, Khabib, Tony, Nate, Gaethje and possibly RDA will be tough tough fights where he'll have some losses if he fights most of them.

LW is an established division, has tons of depth where you have to go through the gauntlet to even be a contender, which makes it much tougher to go on a streak than at FW, a new(ish) division.
Conor skipped it all why can't he

Top 17:

Conor
Khabib
Tony
Alvarez
RDA
Barboza
MJ
Chiesa
Nate
DP
Dariush
Raging Al
Kevin Lee
Melendez
Gaethje
Dunham
Magomedov

You think he beats Barboza? Where? How? I think Barboza is the 4th best LW on the planet east.

He'll get worn out by the bigger guys.

He's not some huge guy or anything like that.
He'd probably have the skill and strength to do his thing for one round. Then he'd gas out against the size/strength advantage of his bigger opponents.

He's a better version of him with a ground game and better defense. Barboza has length on him though, dangerous for anyone.

I'd hope the skipping is done for now seeing how that played out...

I don't know man Barboza's stand up game is probably the best in the division.

Aldo would cement himself as the GOAT LW if he moves up.

I'd favor him for everyone but Conor. Would love to see a rematch at 155, that would be bonkers.

Ill sum it up for you, Aldo wont move to LW for the same reason that MM wont move to BW, hes too small for the division.

I don't know man Barboza's stand up game is probably the best in the division.
I think his offense is from long range. But he lacks inside boxing skills and his moving patterns are similar each fight since he started using more lateral movement and circling to the center of the cage because of those losses back then. And to be fair it has mostly worked. Not against MJ though.

Aldo's footwork is more based on the opponent. He fought Edgar differently in the rematch and was in counter mode against Hominick, while Lamas gave him space and he patiently picked his spots to easily outscore him.

Aldo has the full skillset (also wrestling and elite BJJ), whereas Barboza is a great offensive fighter with not much else.

Back