WSOF to create tournaments with $1million payouts...will any fighters leave UFC and chase payday

zxyss25

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Lets be honest, WSOF doesnt have much talent currently, as all of their top names over the years have left

Arlowski, Rumble, Tyrone Sprong, Branch, Gaetjhe - all gone

Basically, its Fitch, Jake Shields & Okami - all in the WW division

Could you see a current UFC veteran gatekeeper, someone like Ross Pearson, Nate Marquart, Big Country, heck even a veteran top talent like Shogun, one of the Diaz brothers or Luke Rockhold go to WSOF and get a cool million which defeating WSOF cans?

What are the exact terms. This may not be as good as you think.

is the $1m payout thing official? if so, I'd definitely expect a handful of dudes to go to wsof

WSOF -
- 'insert WHO? .gif '

* rubber checks bounce high

*PFL
Professional Fighting League... lol

maxresdefault.jpg

Frank Dux is coming out of retirement to clean house on this one.

$1 million dollars split up how many fighters & fights? So fighters get pennies, got it.

The way things are heading, I could see them starting with a clean slate - release all champions and big earners and start afresh with a new roster of up-and-comers and unsigned veterans vying for the newly created tournament titles. Would probably be a good move financially and in terms of making it intriguing - its what made early Bellator such an interesting promotion.

$1 million dollars split up how many fighters & fights? So fighters get pennies, got it.

Supposedly there will be seven weight classes/tournaments, with each tournament winner getting $1 million dollars. And then $3 million will be split amongst all the other participants. I have questions about its financial viability beyond a year.

If true, then yes... I could see a lot of fighters transitioning over, especially from the UFC. GIven their recent abandonment of the significance of the ranking systems and merit in earning title shots, good fighters who see little hope of getting a title shot might be tempted to go for the big payday and ask to be released or fight out their contracts.

If they don't have success in the tournament, they'd be free agents and still might find better opportunities elsewhere.

Not going to lie, I'd be down to watch.

Supposedly there will be seven weight classes/tournaments, with each tournament winner getting $1 million dollars. And then $3 million will be split amongst all the other participants. I have questions about its financial viability beyond a year.

Damn, that actually sounds pretty good. Probably too good to be true.

well, since no one else will, here's a source.

The WSOF was recently bought by venture capitalist Russ Ramsey, Donn Davis and Mark Leschky for a reported $25 million dollars. Apparently the new financial backers want to make a big splash.

In a press release on Wednesday, they announced that in January of 2018, the PFL will establish a new MMA league. The league is supposed to follow the pattern of MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL and other sports leagues. They stated that they will gather fighters in seven different weight classes. The fighters will compete in several “regular season” fights early in the year. The fighters with the best regular season records will advance to the “playoff tournament” The tournament will be a single elimination tournament with winners in each of the seven weight classes. The winners of each of the seven tournaments will receive a $1 million dollar price. An additional $3 million dollar prices will be paid to the fighters that competed in the season but didn’t win their respected tournaments​

i was hoping for one night events :( too much to hope for i suppose.

but to answer your question, yes, if i were an upper middle tier UFC fighter with little support behind him and therefore little hope for a million dollar payout any time soon in the UFC (e.g. LaFlare, or Alvey, or Corey Anderson) i would have to seriously consider changing leagues.

well, since no one else will, here's a source.

The WSOF was recently bought by venture capitalist Russ Ramsey, Donn Davis and Mark Leschky for a reported $25 million dollars. Apparently the new financial backers want to make a big splash.

In a press release on Wednesday, they announced that in January of 2018, the PFL will establish a new MMA league. The league is supposed to follow the pattern of MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL and other sports leagues. They stated that they will gather fighters in seven different weight classes. The fighters will compete in several “regular season” fights early in the year. The fighters with the best regular season records will advance to the “playoff tournament” The tournament will be a single elimination tournament with winners in each of the seven weight classes. The winners of each of the seven tournaments will receive a $1 million dollar price. An additional $3 million dollar prices will be paid to the fighters that competed in the season but didn’t win their respected tournaments​

i was hoping for one night events :( too much to hope for i suppose.
Thats actually realllyyy badass.

I like the idea of a "regular season" record getting you into a playoff tourney. I just hope they take injuries and reserve bouts into consideration and the money could definitely cause them issues, but still the premise of a "season" is a nice breath of fresh air in the MMA world imo.

This sounds pretty cool, but they need to sign more talent for anyone to care

I doubt this is sustainable in the long-term. Especially when they just lost their best homegrown Champions in Gaethje, Moraes, and Branch. Good luck building your brand around 3 guys with a combined 50 decision wins between them.

Terms are: 5% right now,95 % of prize money- never

Thats really awesome for the fighters competing if true but I wonder who in the left fuck thought that was a good idea with WSOF pulling in abysmal numbers? Even if some decently popular guys go to enter its still not even going to come close to make up for the money their shitting away into it. Like I said, good for the entrants at least.

Hope they dont pull a DREAM and K-1 and fuck people out of their money with those hot ass cheques.

Back