How many unranked featherweights can go 5 rounds with Cub Swanson

MMAislife69

natural heavyweight
@Orange
Reaction score
I think Artem Lobov showed a huge amount of skill and heart in his bout with the Bear-Cub, a fighter with a much better ranking than him and is universally considered an elite FW, with some even calling for him to face the winner of Aldo/Holloway. How many times has an unranked opponent like Artem pushed these elite guys till the very end?

He certainly showed why he is McGs #1 punching bag. Dude has an iron chin and can absorb a beating with the best of em.

Dude is basically

330562215_99_a

With a pulse.

Last edited:
Heart? Yes. "Huge amount of skill", though? Nah.

Artem proved he has a chin and I can respect that, but he's right where he belongs in the rankings (i.e. nowhere to be seen).

Z6DgoSo.gif

Being chinny doesn't make you good in any way, just means you can take a lot of brain damage without going down. Not sure if that's even a good thing.

Heart? Yes. "Huge amount of skill", though? Nah.

Artem proved he has a chin and I can respect that, but he's right where he belongs in the rankings (i.e. nowhere to be seen).

Z6DgoSo.gif
He actually won a round arguably two.

Being chinny doesn't make you good in any way, just means you can take a lot of brain damage without going down. Not sure if that's even a good thing.
Being chinny means the opposite of what you just said, if you're chinny you're prone to getting sparked out. Also cub did break his hand in that fight early on so that may have been a factor too, artem has a good punch and a solid chin, that can take you surprisingly far sometimes.

He did better than I expected, but let's not pretend he was ever in that fight even remotely. He got his ass handed to him decisively.

Being chinny means the opposite of what you just said, if you're chinny you're prone to getting sparked out. Also cub did break his hand in that fight early on so that may have been a factor too, artem has a good punch and a solid chin, that can take you surprisingly far sometimes.

yeah I meant having a really good chin and getting hit a lot is not a good thing. Just kinda makes you a Chris Leben or Roy Nelson at best. That is the ceiling of Lobov. Look at Leben now, it's just sad

None....Unranked fighters shouldnt fight 5 round main events.

If they were matched up with him a five round fight I imagine a good number of them. how many unranked featherweights are there?

Him being able to take a lot of punishment without going down does not make him elite.

He is the Homer Simpson of the FW division but most guys he faces will not punch themselfes out while beating him up.

And I wouldn't say Cub struggled much with him. He had a slow start and broke his hand. But he dominated him nonetheless and was never in danger of losing.

Artem is tougher than I thought. But that is not enough to succeed especially since he does not pack huge power or has the skills to really make something out of that.

Edit: Also while being very good Cub is not a KO-artist.

artem looked great in the first round. was slightly worried for cub.

To answer the question, any of them as long as Cub isn't trying to go for the finish.

Being able to take a lot of punches and be someones punching bag for 5 rounds isnt skill.Artem got his ass beat and he still belongs at the bottom of the division.He should never of been given that fight against a top ranked guy like Cub just cause he is Conors buddy.

Not to hate on Cub but his last finish was almost 4 years ago

yeah I meant having a really good chin and getting hit a lot is not a good thing. Just kinda makes you a Chris Leben or Roy Nelson at best. That is the ceiling of Lobov. Look at Leben now, it's just sad
Yeah, it's not fun watching Nelson these days either, I really like that guy, even follow him on Facebook but these days it feels like he doesn't even have the punchers chance he once had, homer Simpson made real.

I never noticed until the other night how big Artm's head is, he's like a little Tito.

I just don't understand why Lobov fights like he is McGregor. She should be fighting with a lot of head movements, with emphasis on hooks and round kicks rather than in and out linear striking style that requires speed and reach which he has none.

He should be walking people down with his chin and wing hooks. I think it is completely stupid to do what he is doing.

I think Artem Lobov showed a huge amount of skill and heart in his bout with the Bear-Cub, a fighter with a much better ranking than him and is universally considered an elite FW, with some even calling for him to face the winner of Aldo/Holloway. How many times has an unranked opponent like Artem pushed these elite guys till the very end?
How many unranked opponents talk the massive amount of shit that Artem does?

The point is, how many unranked fighters get the opportunity to fight a guy like Cub? How are you completely missing this?

Back