Strikeforce HW Tournament

superpunch

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Everyone thought Fedor was for sure gonna win the HW Grand Prix Tournament at that time back in 2011. Everyone really wanted to see roided to the gills Strikeforce HW champion Alistair Ubereem vs Fedor.

Unfortunately, everyone was shocked when Fedor was eliminated in round 1. Things got crazier when Daniel Cormier, the alternate that no one had ever heard of, came in and wrecked shop to win the entire thing.

This tournament was stacked with GOATs, legends, guys from the bronze age UFC Tim Sylvia - AA era, and guys who are still champions in the UFC today.

Tournament bracket:

SF_GP_bracket_complete.jpg

Great tournament with disappointing outcome.

Alistair didn't even bother to advance to the next round after he beat Werdum

I remember seeing that announced and thinking damnnn Strikeforce is taking over... then UFC monopolised god damnit

dana-white-strikeforce-shirt.jpg

Great Grand Prix.

I miss Grand Prix's .

Sigh.

It would have been a magnificent tournament, had it not been picked to the bones before it was even done.

I was super hyped for this back in the day, I really wanted to see Ubereem vs Fedor. Sucks how it turned out in a way but there were also plenty of good fights.

To think if he didn't, that cormier might've never came into the scene makes it weirder. At the time even with the loss of Fedor, if Alistair had remained then a fight between him and Barnett could've driven a ppv (which was their goal).

Out of this we lost Fedor but gained black Fedor. Awesome tournament/grand prix

it was fun until it wasn't. very high expectation, and mostly people were disappointed. and Dana later said that's why the UFC will never have tourneys; when the 3 favorites all don't get out of the first round, the rest becomes a bit meh.

DC sure made his splash though and that was pretty awesome. i didn't expect him to handle Barnett as easily as he did; i was very wrong.

..yeah he 'hurt his foot', while waiting for the UFC to finalize the purchase of SF right? and then the UFC fired/released him from his SF and signed him to the UFC. IIRC.

it was fun until it wasn't. very high expectation, and mostly people were disappointed. and Dana later said that's why the UFC will never have tourneys; when the 3 favorites all don't get out of the first round, the rest becomes a bit meh.

DC sure made his splash though and that was pretty awesome. i didn't expect him to handle Barnett as easily as he did; i was very wrong.

I don't really remember there being a meh fight tbh

I was there with floor seats. I was surrounded by "legitimate Russsian businessmen" that were not happy Fedor lost.

Ubereem would have beat Bigfoot and Barnett and won the tournament.
4512948.jpg

Last edited:
I don't really remember there being a meh fight tbh
the fights were fine (except Werdum v AO of course). but after round 1 the excitement around the whole thing diminished rapidly. first with Fedor's exit, and then a lot more after AO decided not to continue.

here's the rankings for the semifinals; #8 (Bigfoot), #10 (Barnett) and two non-top 10ers (Sergie, DC).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cartoonq123
Back