Why was Kimbo cut after only 1 loss?

VanMMA

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Kimbo(RIP) did good against Mitrione, given the relatively small amount of training he had. He could've carved out a decent UFC career against low to mid-tier competition IMO. Not to mention, he was a big draw.

Kimbo(RIP) did good against Mitrione, given the relatively small amount of training he had. He could've carved out a decent UFC career against low to mid-tier competition IMO. Not to mention, he was a big draw.

Different era.
If it was 2 years ago, he wouldn't have.

So I'm not allowed to ask questions about dead people? Dumb comment.

Dont listen to the retard trolls. Kimbo had better striking then roy nelson and look, that fatass is still in the ufc.

The image he represented (street fighter) was not the image the UFC wanted at the time. WME-IMG would haved loved Kimbo though for the eyeballs he brought.

Dick Hunter supported Platinum Perry & Kimbo Slice was bodyguard for Shawn Rees.

Around like 2010-2012 the UFC was really trying to push itself as a top tier sports league, that has changed more recently as on average buyrates went down around 2014 from that high period from UFC 100-140.

Kimbo vs Phil Brooks would have been a fun slaughter

Dont listen to the retard trolls. Kimbo had better striking then roy nelson and look, that fatass is still in the ufc.
Roy Nelson would have beaten Kimbo easily; plus Roy can grapple. Even if I am wrong roy and Roy couldn't out strike Kimbo, he still could outgrapple him.

Roy Nelson would have beaten Kimbo easily; plus Roy can grapple. Even if I am wrong roy and Roy couldn't out strike Kimbo, he still could outgrapple him.

The fight happened on the reality show. Nelson took him down and pounded him out gently from the crucifix.

Kimbo was struggling badly in the grappling with Mitrione. I always figured that was why he was cut. Mitrione was not and has never been a grappler; even Brendan Schaub choked Mitrione out.

Kinda crazy looking back on it. Dude got like 6 million views for his episode of TUF which I think is the 2nd highest any UFC show has ever gotten, only 2nd to Cain vs JDS Fox 1 which got like 8.

Dana wanted to send a message that street level guys couldn't compete in the UFC. Still, horrible business decision.

These days they'd give him a shot at the title.

Gotta blame Kimbo for choking on every opportunity thrown his way though. He was cut twice on TUF right?

The fight happened on the reality show. Nelson took him down and pounded him out gently from the crucifix.

Kimbo was struggling badly in the grappling with Mitrione. I always figured that was why he was cut. Mitrione was not and has never been a grappler; even Brendan Schaub choked Mitrione out.
I have no idea about what may or may not have happened on a "reality" show. I only watch the Finale which is only fights. Did Roy fight Kimbo on the ultimate fighter and gently beat him without hurting him? He should be commended for being nice if he did that. :)

I have no idea about what may or may not have happened on a "reality" show. I only watch the Finale which is only fights. Did Roy fight Kimbo on the ultimate fighter and gently beat him without hurting him? He should be commended for being nice if he did that. :)

You really have no idea Kimbo vs Roy happened?

His win against Houston Alexander was one of the worst fights I've ever seen. He still essentially had no ground game despite training at ATT for a few years at that point. I think Dana basically just cut his losses at that point. I'm sure he was commanding a decent salary.

Back