Weight-cutting more dangerous than PEDs - John McCarthy

Affenschädel

Blue Belt
Reaction score

One of the big hypocrisies of MMA, and combat sports in general. There are no proven deaths as a direct result from anabolic steroid intake, which are made out to be the devil, yet people have died from weight cutting, and nobody is willing to talk about it.

Banning weight cutting would also be much more easy the banning PEDs. You have to do random tests for PEDs all year round, which are expensive, and invasive to the fighters' health and privacy (drawing blood, urinating in front of doctor) to ensure all fighters are clean. Yet to effectively ban weight cutting, all you'd have to do would be to allow fighters' weight within only let's say 10lbs of fighting weight 1, 2 weeks before the fight, and do random checkups within that timeframe.

Fucked up situation, and it proves the falseness, idiocy, and complacency of the leading people in the sport. We can only hope for a rapid change in regards to this situation.

Big John makes a lot of good points, I'd like to see the cutting reduced like he explained it.

As long as the solution isn't introducing new weight classes then I'm cool with it. It'd be better just to force some in-between sized guys to fight people 10 lbs bigger than them. 10000000 weight classes would kill the sport

PEDs aren't dangerous if they're being administered properly.

Almost everything is dangerous if it is abused.

PEDs aren't dangerous if they're being administered properly.

Almost everything is dangerous if it is abused.
That's the problem, just in the last few weeks I've had to consult with some folks who are on various PEDs/test and it seems none of them do anything for cycle support, PCT or the stuff you need to prevent or minimize the sides

At least now, I've got these guys on the right track and are getting their stuff together for safer cycles (they're all using for aesthetic reasons)

If done right, they can be used safely with minimal sides and great benefits...it's always the idiots and abusers who ruin it

Why are casual keyboarders always bitching about weight cutting. It's the fighters responsibility to make weight and no one says they have to cut.

It is now a good time to increase each weight class (especially mens) by 5lb. This would surely solve a lot of the dangers and not make weight cut so dramatic. 155 becomes 160lb 185 becomes 190lb etc etc. This doesn't put fighters in the position Khabib and others have faced. It would be that much easier. Some guys are too size disadvantaged to move up to the next weight class currently. It is a safe and simple remedy.

That's the problem, just in the last few weeks I've had to consult with some folks who are on various PEDs/test and it seems none of them do anything for cycle support, PCT or the stuff you need to prevent or minimize the sides

At least now, I've got these guys on the right track and are getting their stuff together for safer cycles (they're all using for aesthetic reasons)

If done right, they can be used safely with minimal sides and great benefits...it's always the idiots and abusers who ruin it
Look at Jones. He didn't even pop for the gear he was taking. He popped for post cycle drugs.

They should just legalise PEDs and let doctors administer it safely because everyone is doing it anyway.

agree 100%...same day weigh in's as well

Yeah I agree with Big John. People talk about steroids like a guy is going to juice up and punch a dude's head off his body. Bonnar was roided to the gills and Anderson sat on the fence and let him punch away, laughing at his punches.

Meanwhile weight cutting has been linked to a ton of adverse effects and bad incidents. People have died weight cutting. People have been seriously injured by opponents who outweigh them significantly. Joey Gamache won a lawsuit against the NYSAC after they allowed Arturo Gatti to come in heavy for a fight, and Gamache got brutally KO'd.

weight cutting is dangerous for the guy doing it

steroids are dangerous for the guy he's fighting

It makes sense. Not saying PEDs are good for you but "weight cutting" is essentially dehydrating yourself to an extreme, repeatedly.

I have assumed the first death in the UFC would be due to the weight cut (i.e. 15 minutes until weigh-ins and someone's heart stops due to kidney failure).

It is now a good time to increase each weight class (especially mens) by 5lb. This would surely solve a lot of the dangers and not make weight cut so dramatic. 155 becomes 160lb 185 becomes 190lb etc etc. This doesn't put fighters in the position Khabib and others have faced. It would be that much easier. Some guys are too size disadvantaged to move up to the next weight class currently. It is a safe and simple remedy.
Or they can leave the divisions as they are and fighters can actually fight in their own rightful weight class...if that means they need to move up, so be it

If you don't count the guy who fires them after they lose to a bigger fighter who did cut, sure.
They aren't losing because the guy cut an extra 8-15 pounds. They can diet and lose the weight earlier and cut very little weight. I think it's becoming more of a trend to cut less weight already. Guys are moving up or losing weight in a healthier way.

Back