BJM explains decision+what weidman said

LZD

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Quote re Weidman:

BJM: ...and Weidman goes and puts his hands on the ground in a manner that is not part of what we're going to say is a grounded fighter, because we want fighters to get away from what they're doing.

In that situation, we want Chris Weidman — put your knee to the ground. Use your hands to defend yourself. That's what they're there for. We don't want you putting your hands to the ground. Because then you're open to get, you know, your head uppercutted into the first row.

BJM says that it wasn't the replay which allowed him to see the move was legal - he says that he just had a better angle on the action and so he could see that it was fingertip contact in realtime. BJM did watch a replay cageside on Dan's request but he already knew it was legal and had told Dan so.

Also, the rule for grounded fighter with hands has apparently seen another slight revision since the fight:

BJM: You have to put both your hands down, palm or fist, bearing weight, to make yourself grounded. So what I'm telling you is, don't ever fucking do that. What I want to see is, I want to see you drop to a knee, put your hands in a position to defend yourself, come into a grappling technique — do something to get yourself out. Don't ever get to this point where we're putting our hands down. That's only if, let's say you fall to that point, that's the only time I want to see that. And we did that, in putting that rule in place, because we didn't want someone that was hurt falling forward (onto their hands) and be able to have a guy come up and soccer kick or punt him to the face.

BJM: And then Dan came over and I told him: "Dan..." he says "Did you see it?" and I said "Yes. It's legal. What he did was legal. You need to tell Chris, that if he stays with what he's doing he's going to lose this fight by a TKO." And, y'know, Chris's corner is telling him "Chris, you have time. Chris, stay down." They're milking something for their fighter.

BJM: Physician talks to Chris. He says, y'know, "What month is it?" and Chris says "February." Now, does he do it on purpose or does he, y'know, does he do it because he really doesn't know? Can't say, but right away when they came back and said "hey that's good" (hey, the strikes were legal) he said "It's April eighth!"

Interviewer: Oh, he did?

BJM: (laughs) Oh yeah, he knew the day right away. (chuckles) So you look and you go alright, he's trying to play a game with it a little bit we'll say, but — he played himself into a loss.

BJM: Physician talks to Chris. He says, y'know, "What month is it?" and Chris says "February." Now, does he do it on purpose or does he, y'know, does he do it because he really doesn't know? Can't say, but right away when they came back and said "hey that's good" (hey, the strikes were legal) he said "It's April eighth!"

Interviewer: Oh, he did?

BJM: (laughs) Oh yeah, he knew the day right away. (chuckles) So you look and you go alright, he's trying to play a game with it a little bit we'll say, but — he played himself into a loss.

I'm trying to think of word that Longo loves to say to describe Weidman.

Chris definitely milked it on the original call, acting as if he could not continue. When deemed legal, he popped up ready to continue. Not a "champions" mentality, rather "try for the easy win" via disqualification of Mousasi.

It backfired.

Weidman wins the fight 9 out of 10 times.

If he knew it was legal in real time why didn't he just call it a knockout right away

Edit I'm an idiot and got the refs confused. No need to correct me.

Fuck BJM, he acts like a dick in there sometimes.

It stillshould have been a NC even if chris didn't know what day or month it was. The ref interferred in a fight where it was unnecessary. It baffles me that most sherdoggers won't acknowledge this just bc they like moose more than chris.

I don't like the suggestion that these doctors have no ability outside asking Weidman how he was.

When it comes to a stoppage, you would want the doctor to use his trained abilities, the context of the situation and the entirety of the fight to come to a conclusion.

Weidman was milking it. Everyone knew. But because he answered the question wrong, under the belief it was an illegal strike, he lost.

I don't respect athlete's faking injury or anything. It's disgusting to watch, but I feel for Weidman here. The ref stopped the fight for no reason, gave Weidman bad information, then lost, and was told it's entirely his fault. The commission and the refs will not take any responsibility, but who is pretending Dan is a quality ref? He fucked this whole fight.

Thanks. Didn't remember. That all makes sense then

It was a weird deal. Dan calls it illegal, Chris milks it, Dan is told by BJM that it was legal. Then supposedly there is no instant replay in NY, further complicating the outcome.

It was the oddest thing I ever saw because it seemed nobody knew what to do after the knees were deemed legal.

Cheers!

It stillshould have been a NC even if chris didn't know what day or month it was. The ref interferred in a fight where it was unnecessary. It baffles me that most sherdoggers won't acknowledge this just bc they like moose more than chris.

I don't know about the NC...

Another outside ref can help when needed. Dan called the knees illegal, BJM watched a replay and saw they were legal. During this time, Chris was milking the 5 minute rule, and one can argue that Chris was going to milk it all the way to the end of 5 minutes to get the win via DQ, or edge out Mousasi on the cards up until that point.

When they all realized it was legal, Chris got right up ready to go...then instead of being February he miraculously knew it was April 8 (from what BJM said).

Chris is a former champion, and should have that mentality going into any situation, and as a fan of Chris I was bummed to see the fight end the way it did, but 1/2 the blame should be on the NYSAC/REF's and 1/2 on Weidman. Mousasi did nothing wrong but deliver legal blows and probably would have won in the event the fight was not stopped when it was.

Also, unless the rule specifically says palms are required to be grounded (it may I have not researched it) then bjm isn't following the letter of the rule as is just giving some Interpretation that isn't justified

Weidman wins the fight 9 out of 10 times.

Lol.

Based on what? That he could take Mousasi down?

All the damage in that fight was done by Mousasi. He had Weidman cut and back peddaling most of round 2, outside of some wrestling and positional control that did nothing for damage. Mousasi was lighting him up round 2 and had the fight not been stopped/ Mousasi was easily going to take that round.

Weidman did nothing to show me he would finish Mousasi.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F5CHAMPIONSHIP
Back