How about Justin Gaethje vs Anthony Pettis?

SUBLIME FAN

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I think this could be an awesome fight. I think it'd be a good first fight for Gaethje, but part of me does want to see Pettis get a step down in competition or a higher ranked veteran like Jim Miller.

Otherwise who would you like to see Gaethje fight in his octogon debut? Obviously the Barboza fight would be sick, but I'm not sure he gets that big of a fight for his debut, but it is a really exciting fight and Barboza is pretty much opponent less right now so I think it is probably possible. I also wouldn't mind Gaethje vs either Duffy, Iaquinta, or Felder.

Good stuff that's he's coming over, so many possible exciting matchups and yet another really exciting name fighter to 155

It would be a good fight; however I think Gaethje's pressure would destroy Pettis and make him wilt

Pettis should be CUT

Another American who talked a lot but since usada arrived
He disappeared

I like the idea of felder . I kind of want to see him with something that should be a showcase fight

I like the idea of felder . I kind of want to see him with something that should be a showcase fight
I agree i like the Felder fight a lot as well. But I would also love to see Iaquinta vs Felder on the Long Island card if Iaquinta can get things figured out and get back in there

Meh, Felder hasn't had that good win that would make him deserving of fighting Gaethje. Showcase/squash fights are a Bellator thing and should stay in Bellator.

Pettis/Barboza/Poirier are better options. I'm sure Gaethje would want to get to the title faster as well.

Anthony Pettis has looked like shit recently. Rather see Gaethje vs. Khabilov or maybe Evan Dunham

Meh, Felder hasn't had that good win that would make him deserving of fighting Gaethje. Showcase/squash fights are a Bellator thing and should stay in Bellator.

Pettis/Barboza/Poirier are better options. I'm sure Gaethje would want to get to the title faster as well.
I disagree , UFC needs more showcase matches for fighters who are new blood and layoffs

The UFC made Will Brooks debut v Ross Pearson. They have shown they're happy to give guys a "warm up" fight so to speak.

Not that I think Felder is a warm up, but I think Gaethje v Felder is the perfect first fight for him. Would be a sick stylistic match-up as well.

The UFC made Will Brooks debut v Ross Pearson. They have shown they're happy to give guys a "warm up" fight so to speak.

Not that I think Felder is a warm up, but I think Gaethje v Felder is the perfect first fight for him. Would be a sick stylistic match-up as well.
Brooks vs Pearson took place on international fight week, most of the top Lightweights were either busy or unavailable. Wasn't much of a good style match-up either, literally nobody asked for Brooks vs Pearson. Brooks just wanted to fight ASAP.

I could see the demand behind Gaethje vs Felder but I just see showcase fights as a waste of time and a bush league thing. Maybe I feel that way because I've seen too many MVP fights, I don't know.

Since Pettis refused to sign the contract to fight Mairbek Taisumov, how about Mairbek Taisumov vs Justin Gaethje?

tenor.gif

Justin wins.

On another note, I love how the USADA card is played to say "fighter X" is no good post USADA. Times change, fighters watch tape and exploit weaknesses. Pettis does not have a ground game against wrestlers.

I think it's a bad match for Justin.

Justin wins.

On another note, I love how the USADA card is played to say "fighter X" is no good post USADA. Times change, fighters watch tape and exploit weaknesses. Pettis does not have a ground game against wrestlers.

Exactly. Pettis has wicked kicks and slick submissions but his boxing and wrestling are his weakness. He seems to have alot of problems with pressure fighters who make it more of a brawl standing and mix in takedowns. He is an amazing fighter and is explosive and technical. Hes young and will bounce back.

Youre right though, its not usada. People are fighting him differently. Dont stand in front of the dude and trade kicks and punches. Grind him out and throw volume.....make it dirty

Brooks vs Pearson took place on international fight week, most of the top Lightweights were either busy or unavailable. Wasn't much of a good style match-up either, literally nobody asked for Brooks vs Pearson. Brooks just wanted to fight ASAP.

I could see the demand behind Gaethje vs Felder but I just see showcase fights as a waste of time and a bush league thing. Maybe I feel that way because I've seen too many MVP fights, I don't know.

Fair enough. I just think you're selling Felder a bit short there.

Back