Dana White says he's never been in it for the money. Can that possibly be true?

TheHNICuLuv2Hate

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Why, you ask? According to White, it’s because he and the Fertittas actually care about this company and this sport. They wanted to see it thrive after the sale, even if it meant a little less money in their pockets.

Where I get skeptical is when White tries to make a point about just how little money means to him. The point comes in the form of a story about a recent conversation he had with a friend of his who’s a famous professional skateboarder, just so the whole thing seems even more relatable.

“Rob Dyrdek called me after the sale, and he said, ‘I’ve got to ask you a question – how do you get up every day and run the race when you’ve already won the race? I want to know how you strap your (expletive) shoes on and go to work every day,’” White recalled. “I said, ‘Because I was never in it for the money.’ I don’t even think about the money. I’m not like, woo-hoo. It’s a weird thing. It’s not what I’m in it for.”

The first thing about this is that, in a weird way, I actually believe him. Which is to say, I believe that he believes it.

If White just wanted money, and if he didn’t enjoy the work itself, he’d be gone by now. Look at former UFC matchmaker Joe Silva. He got his payout from the sale and then retired early to read books at home. If his job were solely a way to make money, White would have done the same (though maybe without the books).

When you’ve got that much money, making more of it becomes not so much a matter of survival, as it is for most of us, but instead a way of keeping score. The money itself isn’t really the point anymore.

The problem with making this case now is that there are a whole lot of people in White’s employ for whom the money is still very much the point.

You know them. You see them almost every weekend. They’re the people getting their faces busted up on live TV and then leaning into the microphone afterward to make their plea for one of those $50,000 bonuses. They’re the people publicly questioning whether or not they can afford another training camp, or whether it’s worth all the pain and suffering for the relatively small paycheck they pocket in the end.

They’re the ones who make the sport itself – and the fortune White has derived from it – possible.

UFC fighters are, on the whole, some of the most poorly paid people in all of professional sports. That’s not an opinion; that’s a fact.

Your first fight in the UFC? You’re probably looking at about $10,000 to show, another $10,000 if you win, plus $2,500 in “outfitting” pay under the Reebok deal. Of course, then you have to subtract management fees and training expenses, because, oh yeah, unlike most pro athletes, fighters are wholly responsible for paying their own coaches and trainers.

A mid-tier fighter in the UFC might crack six figures if he’s lucky enough to fight and win three times in a year (and neither is anything close to guaranteed). But after all the associated expenses and fees, not to mention the tricky tax situation that comes from working as an independent contractor in several different states and/or countries, his take-home pay could easily be dwarfed by the front desk staff at the hotels where he stays – and those people don’t usually risk concussions at work.

I point this out not to make you pity the poor professional fighters. They chose this life, signed the contracts, and willingly jumped right in. But that doesn’t change the fact that pay is a problem in this sport, and in a way it isn’t in others. Promising fighters leave this sport over pay. Potentially good ones don’t even get in.

So when you have a multimillionaire at the top telling us that he’s not in it for the money, it jars the senses. White made a reported $360 million from the sale of the UFC, plus a contract that gives him nine percent of the UFC’s net profits going forward.

If money means so little to him, why doesn’t he give some of that back to the fighters?

It wouldn’t have to be much. He could take $10 million – a sum he’d barely even miss – and spread it out equally among roughly 400 fighters. Suddenly everyone gets a $25,000 bonus, just for being them.

For $30 million a year, he could give every fighter a base salary of $75,000. If that didn’t completely silence the fighters’ consistent complaints about pay, it would at least undercut a lot of the sympathy for them among fans and media.

A guy who doesn’t “even think about the money” could do a lot worse things with it than give more of it to the people who bleed for it.

http://mmajunkie.com/2017/04/dana-w...in-it-for-the-money-can-that-possibly-be-true

Of course. He's in it for the cocaine and prostitutes the money buys.

Totally different.

Ok, with that I'm off.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

only a fool would believe that DW was never in it for the money, doesn't even think about the money.

alas, this world is full of fools who find it easier to parrot other people's thought instead of have their own.

If he cared about the Sport, or if the Fertittas scared about the Sport - they wouldn't have sold it to WME.

Simple as that. How can you sell the sport you're soooo passionate about to a company which has no idea about MMA. How?

Dana White says he's never been in it for the money.

PHXVQfe.gif

HHUECoM.jpg

Greedypotumus lying thru his stink-hole, yet again

Must be hard to hear the fighters cries from a top that pile.
BloodMoney.jpg

They can sell that shit to someone else. It seems like it's their plan to help WME to fail. They suddenly decided to sell after USADA and reebok were introduced? I wonder why

Didnt read all of that, but it might the case that they were legit fans of the sport in the beginning, then the money came in, but, when you reach a certain point (this is all guessing) of having that much money, is not about the money anymore, how could Dana not love his job, he seems to be having a good time on the "lookin´for a fight" show.

i heard him say that a few weeks ago. "breaking records" is what he says creates the feeling of accomplishment now. judging by his actions he's trying to set a record for fucking the most people out of money in the history of sport. i'd say he's got it wrapped up!

About as true as every guy ever not being in a relationship for the pussy.

Back