All the Dandois/Davis fight shows is the immense double standards between striking and grappling

BigMuffler

Loli is love loli is life!
@Steel
Reaction score
No, I'm not saying Dandois is a good striker, however... she at least displayed some (nonzero) level of offensive striking. Yet there has been so much criticism of her for looking bad on the feet and also Davis for not destroying her easily when there are plenty of strikers who show ZERO offensive grappling yet nobody criticizes them for that. So there is demand for a grappler to actually have GOOD offensive striking while no one ever demands for strikers to have ANY offensive grappling. Heck nobody treated Holly like a joke for looking clueless on the mat with Tate and actually getting finished there, while Dandois did not get finished or even dominantly outpointed on the feet and is being viewed as a joke.

The same applies for someone like Jake Shields who is considered a "bad" striker despite fighting so many dangerous strikers and not only being KOed only once (after his father just died no less) but actually WINNING some of those decisions against "good" strikers. Phil Davis is another who falls into the same category. So a grappler can actually WIN mostly standup fights against strikers but if they look bad/awkward doing it they will be considered poor, yet strikers' grappling will be considered serviceable if they are only able to defend TDs or get back up from them (while showing zero offensive grappling).

Massive double standards. If people demanded equal competence in grappling from strikers (compared to their demands for striking from grapplers), they'd be demanding that people like Wonderboy and GDR take opponents down and submit them which no one ever does. Stop being so biased against fighters whose striking is worse than their grappling instead of the other way around.

Dandois is probably the worst striker I've ever seen in the UFC

I've seen girl fights on YouTube between chicks who have never trained with better technique

Laughable

You are mostly right.

On the other hand it's hard to deny that level of grappling in MMA, even among those 'clueless' in grappling is way higher than level of striking.

You will generally see even poor grapplers being able to pull guard, fight for underhooks and head position. While some of the strikes being thrown are horrible.

I guess grappling in general is more instinctive to humans.

I've seen girl fights on YouTube between chicks who have never trained with better technique

Laughable
tenor.gif

Truly not as bad as people make it out to be, he stopped throwing mid technique as the shot came

Even still, Dandois looked far worse over multiple rounds. All this proves is punk has no take down defense at all.

Plus Dandois has combat experience so it's way more embarrassing because that was Punk's first fight ever and he was facing a legit pro far more skilled than Davis

You are mostly right.

On the other hand it's hard to deny that level of grappling in MMA, even among those 'clueless' in grappling is way higher than level of striking.

You will generally see even poor grapplers being able to pull guard, fight for underhooks and head position. While some of the strikes being thrown are horrible.

I guess grappling in general is more instinctive to humans.
It depends, with zero training I think striking is more instinctive since some people can throw somewhat effective strikes (eg. with power) without training, nobody is doing a proper armbar or something untrained. Maybe it is easier to get to a high-ish level of grappling once trained compared to striking though.

Bums in any large downtown city display "some (nonzero) level of offensive striking" so that is not saying much.

Her MMA skills are fucking laughable. Because MMA presumes you have some level of competence in all areas of the fight game.

Because MMA presumes you have some level of competence in all areas of the fight game.
Not offensive grappling apparently (or at least, there is rarely any demand expressed for it).

Plenty of people on here were clowning on Holly for getting owned on the ground by Tate. Probably a lot more than even commented on the Dandois/Davis fight.

Laughable
Megan Anderson called her out, saying Dandois only got into the UFC due to her association with Tate. It's hard to disagree when her striking looks like that.

For primarily a grappler her grappling sucked too. She sat in Davis' guard doing nothing until Davis slowly shifted her hips little by little and caught Cindy's arm. That happened like 3 times.

I call it the sloth set up. Lazy, slow and sloppy. Dandois still didn't follow Davis' hips even after the first ridiculously slow set up. Even after Miesha told her to follow Davis' hips. Then they end up in a neutral hilarious position.

Terrible fight, terrible fighters both on the ground and on the feet. How's dandois an 8 year vet? What has she been training in 8 years?

No, I'm not saying Dandois is a good striker, however... she at least displayed some (nonzero) level of offensive striking. Yet there has been so much criticism of her for looking bad on the feet and also Davis for not destroying her easily when there are plenty of strikers who show ZERO offensive grappling yet nobody criticizes them for that. So there is demand for a grappler to actually have GOOD offensive striking while no one ever demands for strikers to have ANY offensive grappling. Heck nobody treated Holly like a joke for looking clueless on the mat with Tate and actually getting finished there, while Dandois did not get finished or even dominantly outpointed on the feet and is being viewed as a joke.

The same applies for someone like Jake Shields who is considered a "bad" striker despite fighting so many dangerous strikers and not only being KOed only once (after his father just died no less) but actually WINNING some of those decisions against "good" strikers. Phil Davis is another who falls into the same category. So a grappler can actually WIN mostly standup fights against strikers but if they look bad/awkward doing it they will be considered poor, yet strikers' grappling will be considered serviceable if they are only able to defend TDs or get back up from them (while showing zero offensive grappling).

Massive double standards. If people demanded equal competence in grappling from strikers (compared to their demands for striking from grapplers), they'd be demanding that people like Wonderboy and GDR take opponents down and submit them which no one ever does. Stop being so biased against fighters whose striking is worse than their grappling instead of the other way around.
If you want the fight on the feet, standing up from a takedown IS offensive grappling...

There are relatively 1-dimensional fighters in WMMA and MMA both.

It's just WMMA haters use these examples to argue why women don't deserve to be in the UFC. By that standard plenty of guys don't deserve to be in MMA either.

If you haven't noticed the UFC has been slowly getting rid of the really good grapplers for a while now.

Just ask Shields and Okami why they aren't in the UFC anymore.

Or ask Ben Askren why the UFC never called him.

The refs are quicker to break up clinch battles and stand people up.

I wouldn't be surprised if the UFC implements a 30 second on the ground at 1 time Max in not to long.

People like stand up fights no matter how sloppy they are. In fact the more sloppy and reckless it is the better it is for the UFC's ratings.

Back