Where´s all this "DC is slowing down, doesn´t look as good as he used to" coming from?

Kung Fu bb

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
in b4 people say "oh but he´s getting old".... look what happened to young baby Chris against grandpa Romero.

I´d like to ask these people what kind of real signs are they seeing of DC slowing down.

I really don´t know.

I mean, he last 4 fights at LHW were against the baddest LHW ever on planet earth: Jones, Rumble and Gus. I mean, obviously he´s gonna get hit and get damaged. And of course he may lose his next fight to the goat lhw.

But "slowing down and not as good as he used to"? Where are they getting this from???

Is it from the 2 fights where he easily finished the biggest LHW ko monster the ufc has ever seen?
dg8gPwq.gif

grinds-a-tired-rumble-down-gets-the-finish.gif

Or from the fight where he made Gus run the fuck away and then beat him up standing (the guy who fucked Jones up on the feet) ?
BraveLimpingGermanshepherd.gif

HideousRepentantGartersnake.gif

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Hard to tell much of anything from the last fight as Rumble basically just gave the fight away.

DC is the most under rated guy in the sport. Receives a ridiculous amount of hate for no good reason whatsoever.

People just upset about the towel fiasko. It seems to have blown over now though.

I wouldn't go so far as to say those are the baddest 205ers ever - I think the prior generation had some guys who would be bad stylistic matchups for the new guys respectively.

And the Anderson fight seemed to be the start of the talk, and maybe the knee injuries were behind it. I think people also are anticipating it and maybe th first were trying to be ahead of the pack on that.

He isn't slowing down. Cormier has fallen back more on his wrestling in the UFC than he did in Strikeforce. So I'm sure it gives people the idea that he is slowing down

DC hasn't been as active, is an old 38 due to so many years of competing, looked fatter than ever at 205, and realistically did not make weight.

Cormier himself admits to slowing down. He says that its becoming harder and harder to make weight, and he's been in some wars.

Many years of fighting and wrestling take their toll.

That said, Cormier is obviously still too good to write off. He has a huge amount of heart, a world-class chin, and is extremely well rounded.

He didn't look impressive against either Silva or Rumble IMHO. Also he pulled out 2 main events last year. Also he basically did not make weight for his last title fight. I think he's on the downside of his career to be honest.

Last edited:
He can afford to be,cuz most of his competition is weak,for now

It seems like he is starting slow down and he's even admitted as such, which is why he wants that jones fight ASAP.

Damn I completely forgot Romero koed weird man so early in round 3. Thought It was at least 2 minutes in.

Not everyone ages the same TS. Bernard Hopkins fought to 50, not everyone can do that, some people have incredible longevity, others can only maintain their absolute peak for a few years. To add to that he's taking serious punishment everyday against Cain and Rockhold at AKA because of outdated training methods. Those things can catch up to you quick.

- If I am not mistaken, he has said something about it himself, that he is starting to slow down.
- He is nearing 40, and as several fighters have said, it is impossible to be 38, 39, 40, and older in this sport, if you don't use illegal supplements. After USADA, these guys have to be very careful, and do microdosing, and this is far from as efficient as what they could do before.
- He has defended his belt 1 time in two years... That looks like someone that is not so keen on fighting too often.
- Struggles with weight
- Beating Anderson Silva and Rumble by wrestling is not proof he is in his prime. Rumble just quit.

That being said, I really want to see a rematch with Jones. Interesting to see which guy has slowed down most after USADA. I think we may be surprised.

I would tend to say though that we had already started to see the slowdown by the time he dropped to LHW or shortly afterwards, you go back to Strikeforce vs Barnett and Bigfoot and I think you did see faster hand speed.

- If I am not mistaken, he has said something about it himself, that he is starting to slow down.

I've heard him say the same. I think it was when he was talking after the Johnson fight he alluded to him fighting Jones next, beating him, and then having a rubber match. He didn't say he'd be done for definite after laying out that scenario, but it sounded like he was.

It's no secret as well that his ACL is messed up in some way - a ligament or joint, IIRC, is totally shot and he's taking stem cell treatment for it.

Think it'd be a cert he'd retire if he loses to Jones next.

C80lJqKUQAADpRe.jpg

He's getting old, can't make weight, injured all the time, trains at a dumb gym. How can he not be slowing down?

Or from the fight where he made Gus run the fuck away and then beat him up standing (the guy who fucked Jones up on the feet) ?

It's pretty funny: DC won a split decission vs Gus, and Jones an unanimous (in a striking match).

Back