Do you any any more proof that Ronda Rousey was criminally overrated?

Pitier of Fools

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Some people are still trying to argue that she actually beat good competition, and really they only have three people they can point to--Sarah McMann, Can Zingano, and Alexis Davis. Well, after Davis's fight last weekend, where she struggled in her striking against...well, if you didn't see it, here you go.

Beating her had Joe Rogan (and half of Sherdog) going incredulous. Let's face the fact: Ronda was at best a mediocre fighter with good submissions who made a name off of primitive competition.

People actually thought that she could compete in the men's bantam weight division ffs. She was the definition of overrated.

Were you in such a rush to excrete this thread that you couldn't be bothered to proofread the title?

I somewhat agree but Ronda was demolishing her opponents it was not even close I mean it was tough to not herald her as the GOAT. Also I think you're forgetting Bethe Coreia, and Miesha Tate.

I would agree that Ronda dominated in a division that perhaps was so new there was not a huge talent pool to compete against and where most of the competition wasn't great.

I personally think the largest factor in her massive fall from grace is coaching, Edmound was more overrated than Rousey and he made her far too over confident.

She was a beast in her 15 minutes, but the game caught up with her, she believed her own hype, and surrounded herself with 3rd rate coaches and training partners instead of joining a good gym because the circus that was created around her turned her into a megalomaniac that couldn't take the loss when it happened.

Last edited:
Don't forget Amanda Nunes got wrecked by this so called "primitive competition"

A lot of it was the way she beat the competition. If you count her amateur fights, she has 17 total fights. Of those 17, she has 12 wins in 1min 6sec or less. Regardless of the competition, that's pretty impressive. Her competition wasn't the best but that's basically taking opponents that train to fight all day and making nearly all of them last about as long as pulling someone from the crown would have lasted.

Also the fact that she armbarred 12 of her 17 opponents is pretty impressive. To know that it's coming and still not be able to stop it is something else.

She was the real deal. She was destroying people and had a huge following. Her time has passed and her trainer sucks

We didn't need to see a fight with Cindy Dandois to confirm what many of us have been saying all along. it doesn't matter at this point anyway. Most of Honda's band wagon fans have disappeared into the ether of the internet. But every once in a while you will see one of her embarrassing fans pop up and cuss you out. See @skold posting history if you wanna have a few laughs.

Why don't you look at what her opponents did before they fought Ronda instead of what they have done years later when they aren't in their prime arguably. Everyone Ronda fought and finished was a decent win at the time aside from Charmaine Tweet who was making her debut.

women fighting with a gal who has a dominating discipline in still a kind of infancy of wmma = ronda- royce.

It is what it is

Yep in retrospect she ain't even top 5 WMMA talent... let alone 'once ever'.

Cyborg, JJ, Carano, Nunes, Valentina, Holly are better fighters in retrospect.

Damn, marketing and a W can make you drink the cool aid fast.

A girl with a gimmick that she played with from an early age and just shows how weak WMMA is overall that it took this long to stop the 1 trick pony.

Media hype/attention on the big stage to choke this other girls, fast scramble, physicality, 30 sec arm bar... W .. full on cool aid: she can beat up man, she takes on Floyd and Cain.

As many people begin to pile on and call her overrated, I'm becoming more of a fan of her.

I think she's underrated. She is a monster grappler.

When Matt Hughes fights Thiago Alves, he looks like fucking shit.

Doesn't mean he's overrated and not a great champion.

Ronda cleaned up 11 women in 12 fights in about 20 minutes total. She has 7 title defenses.

Is she as good as the men who have 7 (or even 3) defenses? No, she fought in a nascent (and, IMO, still quite shitty) women's division.

But that doesn't mean she's some bum, as people here want to paint her. People think she has a bitchy attitude so she automatically deserves the very worst in life, and to be remembered as a hack and a hype job. That's just biased thinking -- trying to reshape history to punish someone you don't like. She has 7 title defenses. She has more martial art skill in judo alone than most women in the UFC have all together. She's a psycho, angry, sub machine who's given us most of the very few highlights in women's BW history, and the very best ones at that (besides Holly's -- on her.)

So fuck all the nonsense and the saaaaad haters (really sad,) she's certainly not overrated now -- quite the opposite.

Back