Is UFC releasing prominet fighters good for mma?

ZafroTexas

Sideburns Sodamizer
@Green
Reaction score
I guess the first question you would have to answer is, has mma already reached it's zenith? There is certainly data that would suggest it has, but my gut as a hardcore fan tells me it hasn't. I think the UFC is purposely letting top talent go to build other stars in other organizations. I think they realize they need to promote mma to further grow as a business. Its not like they can't simply resign fighters they let go. I think it's a good move either a fighter can increase their value ( increase MRPL for each win, gain more fans) or they can lose and increase the value of a previously unknown fighter. Then the UFC can simply sign that fighter.

Discuss

Case UFC cuts Rousmir Palhares, Palhares gets knocked out by Emil Weber Meek, UFC signs Emil Weber Meek and televises his UFC debut

I can for sure see the UFC getting Davis or Bader back when they run out of options for Cormier or Jones

Kept replying to bump to the top. It wasn't showing up for some reason

Bellator now has
1. Bader
2. Davis
3. Macdonald
4. Larkin
5. Daley

Few more top guys and the Bellator belt will truly be a World title. All of those guys should be top 6 in the world at their weight class (besides maybe Daley who might be top 12)

It's good for mma but I don't think the UFC is doing it to be good guys budget reasons...

Zenith...No.

The fans are out there. The UFC is fucking up. But, the sport of mma continues. And has room to grow.

Make some better choices than they have. And the WME new UFC has room to grow much bigger. Especially, by tapping into female viewers. Zuffa/Fox started it. WME/Fox are continuing. Which I think is the purpose of women headlining these free UFC cards on TV.

The product could be better...Much better. But, the mistakes that have been made can be fixed.

A good place to start since I brought up wmma. Add the fucking FLW division. Imo, it would easily be the best of the 4 UFC divisions. Some women from both SW, and BW would rather fight there.

Free enterprise. If someone is willing to pay more, that's good for the fighters. So, I don't think it's " bad " for mma. Because most ppl that like these fighters will tune in to watch guys like Rory fight guys like Daley. You may have a point. About trying to have stars elsewhere. Or maybe the UFC is just cheap, and making shit choices.

Another good way to get some credibility back, would be to quit fucking guys like Maia over. That's a big travesty, imo.

We'll see.

I guess the first question you would have to answer is, has mma already reached it's zenith? There is certainly data that would suggest it has, but my gut as a hardcore fan tells me it hasn't. I think the UFC is purposely letting top talent go to build other stars in other organizations. I think they realize they need to promote mma to further grow as a business. Its not like they can't simply resign fighters they let go. I think it's a good move either a fighter can increase their value ( increase MRPL for each win, gain more fans) or they can lose and increase the value of a previously unknown fighter. Then the UFC can simply sign that fighter.

Discuss
that would require WME to have a longterm plan and I'm starting to believe they didn't go that far just yet. Right now WME seems to be doing everything they possibly can to make profits that justify the purchase. that includes remove part of the roster when their contracts are due.

I think WME-IMG has different ideas for the UFC than Zuffa. They are looking to get payback on their $4 billion dollar investment and they must assume they can do it more easily by filling broadcast time with WMMA (who fight for peanuts) as opposed to fighters that are really good but don't draw and want large contracts. I think fans of the sport are going to see increasingly watered down UFC cards, but they will certainly retain the superstars for PPV and obligatory FOX cards. The positive side is that other organizations will get better talent and less dependent on freak show fights to gain a following. IMO WME overpaid dearly for the UFC and they are going to be on the cheap for quite a while.

Bellator now has
1. Bader
2. Davis
3. Macdonald
4. Larkin
5. Daley

Few more top guys and the Bellator belt will truly be a World title. All of those guys should be top 6 in the world at their weight class (besides maybe Daley who might be top 12)
You forgot Benson and McDonald (BW Michael McDonald) who are both top 10 and maybe top 5.

Its good for the sport in general.
UFC absolutely needs competition to improve mma interest.
Pride and StrikeForce increased interest in a big way for all fans of the sport. That in turn put money in UFC's pockets, even though they publicly derided the competition.
Now do I think the people in charge are actually trying to help BFC grow, no way. But they will reap the benefits if that actually happens.

I can for sure see the UFC getting Davis or Bader back when they run out of options for Cormier or Jones
I can't believe they let Bader go. The guy really seems to be coming into his own. Maybe they just want him to go make a big name for himself in a different org so that when they do book him for a title fight there is a lot more buzz around it.

I can't believe they let Bader go. The guy really seems to be coming into his own. Maybe they just want him to go make a big name for himself in a different org so that when they do book him for a title fight there is a lot more buzz around it.
This was my thought

You guys shouldn't have responded and waited to see how long he would talk to himself.

Letting Larkin, Benson; Rory and Bader go was such a huge mistake, in my opinion.

Its good for the sport in general.
UFC absolutely needs competition to improve mma interest.
Pride and StrikeForce increased interest in a big way for all fans of the sport. That in turn put money in UFC's pockets, even though they publicly derided the competition.
Now do I think the people in charge are actually trying to help BFC grow, no way. But they will reap the benefits if that actually happens.
There are for sure cutting costs and I see them doing a lot more in the future. Its a great strategy when your the big fish in a small pond but the other fish are getting bigger. I actually hope the mma market becomes a lot more competitive. Nothing is better than a cross promotion title fight. Hopefully one day one could happen outside the UFC

Back